Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de> on 2022/04/21 08:40:23 UTC

Should we upgrade the Java default version? Attached: About the release timeline

Hi Turbine devs,

with the release of Turbine 5.1 (and the Fulcrum components are kind of
aligned to this) I think we should discuss further about, what we should
set as the next main development focus points and what to set as corner
stones,  e.g. currently we have set Java 8 as the main target version of
our main development.

I would suggest to upgrade to Java 11 or to Java 14 or even to Java 17
with any upcoming releases, which might be then versioned like Core 5.2 or
6.0.

With Java 17 we have Record types and Sealed classes and enhanced pattern
matching in switch statements...

To make the upgrade transparent, IMO we have several options:

- before we switch (in the main/trunk branch), we might consider to
support a Java 8 branch based on the current releases or we might even tag
all current releases with "Java8"- ? What do you think?
- Yet another possibility would be to create a Java 11 branch and merge
this later or
- support even both (or more than one development branch), but the latter
might be not manageable (at least currently) by the Turbine community.

Currently I would suggest to create a Java11/14/17 branch and do the work
there merging it before the next release.

With this upgrade I would expect the next release mainly a refactoring
(Java upgrade) release and the time target about the end of the year or at
the beginning of the next year. Fulcrum components should be aligned of
course and the releases would follow this time line:

1. Turbine parent (include update to Apache Maven Parent POM Verison 26)
2. Fulcrum components
3. Turbine (core, archetype)

We might do an archetype release before as this is still missing as last
step for the current last Turbine core release..

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks!

Best regards, Georg

Re: Should we upgrade the Java default version? Attached: About the release timeline

Posted by Jeffery Painter <je...@jivecast.com>.
Hi Georg,

I agree with Thomas.  I think we could move to latest and potentially
skip the intermediate Java releases.  Work has been busy, but happy to
contribute where ever I can.

-

Jeff

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.