Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com> on 2001/04/29 07:52:05 UTC

Re: an unusual [job request] + taking mod_perl to the commercial world

I would like to restate that while I think these engines are cool and
useful, that they are not the things that bring the masses to your
platform.  This was the point I was making. I am not naysaying projects
like Enhydra, but just stated that they are not as directly useful for
bringing the masses to the platform.

While it is true that an "Enhydra" type of engine makes writing application
easier, what you really still always need in order to gain a critical mass
is something more concrete that the masses can hook onto.

I am not talking about techies loving mod_perl or Enhydra or AxKit. But
everyday webmasters and CIOs saying "XYZ platform has so many applications
for it.... I can see them demoed, my tech staff can install them within a
day...." so let's use it.

There are just certain things that are harder to market than others.
Applications make platforms easier to market because it shows off the power.

I was not at the meeting, but I heard Stas convinced one of our clients to
go with mod_perl by showing them a site he created called SinglesHeaven in
CGI and then in mod_perl. "Look how fast it is and you can see it's a real
application". Showing the same people benchmarks of hello world and
template renderings generally do not have the same effect.

Posted by Bakki Kudva <ba...@navaco.com>.
On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:52:05 +0800
Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com> wrote:

I completely agree with the assertion that applications sell the
underlying technology. History teaches us that to be indisputable.

Also while applications should be an overall part of the vision, it may
not have to be there right from the start. I have been peeking in at
Enhydra from time to time and I remeber in the beginning all they had was
the framework consisting of the multi-server, xmlc and perhaps DODS. Now i
see they have complete apps like Brock, jFAQ, and the fairly complete golf
store application all of which could be, as YABW (yet another buzz word)
says, "repurposed". Same is true of Zope where apps are emerging only now.
The tutorial is a terrific example of a zope app. Perhaps the roadmaps
followed by these two opensource camps will have great lessons for
mod_perl.

As the technology catches on the core-developers could form a company for
support, training etc as shown by Lutris for Enhydra and Digital Creations
for Zope. That seems like the validation corporations look for.

moral: lay a great foundation and they will build :)

-bakki

--
  .-.    | Bakki Kudva__________________Open Source EDMS______
  oo|    | Navaco                       ph:  814-833-2592