Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James Goodall <jg...@dmetrix.com> on 2003/07/23 01:45:38 UTC

possible .svn corruption

Hi.  Several of the developers here are running into a similar problem:

C:\Code\trunk\project>svn up

U  file1

U  file2

svn: Problem running log

svn: in directory ''

svn: start_handler: error processing command 'merge' in ''

svn: Error calling external program

svn: svn_io_run_diff3: Error running 'C:\Cygwin\bin\diff3.exe':  exitcode
was 2, args were:

in directory '.', basenames:

.svn/tmp/file3.tmp

.svn/tmp/file3.tmp.tmp

.svn/tmp/file3.tmp.2.tmp

C:\Code\trunk\project >svn st

!      .

  L    proj_subdir1

M      file4

M      file3

?      file3.tmp

  L    proj_subdir2

C:\Code\trunk\project >svn cleanup

svn: Problem running log

svn: in directory ''

svn: start_handler: error processing command 'modify-entry' in ''

svn: error getting file affected time on `.svn/props/file3'

C:\Code\trunk\project>svn resolve file3

svn: warning: working copy locked: .

It seems that the .svn directory contents are getting hosed up and there's
no real way to fix it without checking the directory out again and copying
files.  Some of the guys here are seeing this problem as much as few times
in a day.  Here's what we're running:

Client:

 * svn 0.25.0

 * diff3 2.8.1 (Cygwin - latest version)

Server (if it makes a difference - no pun intended):

 * svn 0.25.0

 * apache 2.0.47

Has anyone else out there seen this, and if so, how can you get around it?

 - James

James Goodall

Senior Software Engineer

DMetrix, Inc.

(520) 722-9481

 <ma...@dmetrix.com> jgoodall@dmetrix.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message and any included attachments are from DMetrix Corporation and
are intended only for the addressee.  The information contained in this
message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information
under international, federal, or state laws and is intended only for the use
of the addressee.  Unauthorized forwarding, copying, printing, distributing,
or using such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify
the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call DMetrix, Inc., in
Tucson, Arizona, USA at (+1) (520) 722-9510.

RE: possible .svn corruption

Posted by James Goodall <jg...@dmetrix.com>.
Thanks, Philip, for validating my email by finding and fixing those bugs! :)

 - James

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

--
Philip Martin

Re: possible .svn corruption

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"James Goodall" <jg...@dmetrix.com> writes:

> C:\Code\trunk\project>svn up
> U  file1
> U  file2
> svn: Problem running log
> svn: in directory ''
> svn: start_handler: error processing command 'merge' in ''
> svn: Error calling external program
> svn: svn_io_run_diff3: Error running 'C:\Cygwin\bin\diff3.exe':  exitcode
> was 2, args were:
> in directory '.', basenames:
> .svn/tmp/file3.tmp
> .svn/tmp/file3.tmp.tmp
> .svn/tmp/file3.tmp.2.tmp
[...]
> C:\Code\trunk\project >svn cleanup
> svn: Problem running log
> svn: in directory ''
> svn: start_handler: error processing command 'modify-entry' in ''
> svn: error getting file affected time on `.svn/props/file3'

Wow!  Lots of bugs!

First bug, svn_wc__adm_steal_write_lock doesn't set wc_format in the
access baton, so 'file3' gets used rather than 'file3.svn-work' and
the former doesn't exist.

Second bug, cleanup doesn't run the external merge command.  This is
why cleanup doesn't generate the diff3.exe error, and why it gets far
enough to cause the props error!

Third bug, 'svn st' does not show the lock for an incomplete
directory.  An incomplete directory is fixed by running 'svn up' but
the lock means that 'svn cleanup' is needed before 'svn up' can be
run, so 'svn st' should show both '!' and 'L'.

Bugs 1 and 2 are old, bug 3 is fairly new.  Bugs 1 and 3 are probably
simple to fix, bug 2 may be a bit more work.

--
Philip Martin

Re: possible .svn corruption

Posted by Paul Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.
  Bruce> seem to have rights problems with the issue tracker (user
  Bruce> guest can't enter anything).

  Garrett> I believe you just have to request an 'Observer' role in
  Garrett> the Subversion project on tigris.org.

That is correct.  User 'guest' can't do much more than just look at
issues.  You have set yourself up an account, then request an
'Observer' role.

Though, I warn you in advance.  When I did this, it led to me becoming
far more involved in this project than I ever imagined possible at the
time :)

--

Seeya,
Paul

Re: possible .svn corruption

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Bruce DeVisser wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:18:19PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>>That's great.  Did you file a bug with this information to
>>ensure that it doesn't get lost?
>

> I discussed the subject problem on #svn, where it was
> suggested that I get list response prior to posting it in
> IZ.
>
> Incidentally, I've tried (on another occasion) to enter an
> issue into IZ and seem to have rights problems with the
> issue tracker (user guest can't enter anything). I'll gladly
> enter this as an issue (after I test and make sure it's still
> present ;-)  --  what's the process for getting the rights?

I believe you just have to request an 'Observer' role in the Subversion
project on tigris.org.  I know you have to do so to comment on issues,
and I think you do for adding them as well.  One of the collab.net guys
would know for sure.  It's been a rather long time since I created my
account, so the details have faded ;-)

-garrett

Re: possible .svn corruption

Posted by Bruce DeVisser <de...@look.ca>.
On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:18:19PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> That's great.  Did you file a bug with this information to
> ensure that it doesn't get lost?

I discussed the subject problem on #svn, where it was
suggested that I get list response prior to posting it in
IZ.

Incidentally, I've tried (on another occasion) to enter an
issue into IZ and seem to have rights problems with the
issue tracker (user guest can't enter anything). I'll gladly
enter this as an issue (after I test and make sure it's still
present ;-)  --  what's the process for getting the rights?

> The mailing lists are high traffic, and we do miss things
> from time to time.

Understood.

Bruce

Re: possible .svn corruption

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Bruce DeVisser wrote:

> 2. Isn't hosing the wc a somewhat inelegant way of suggesting to
> the user that something is wrong?

I doubt Mike meant to imply that the problem was the user's fault, just
to point out that there might be an acceptable work around to his issues.

> BTW I mentioned this problem on dev@ 4 months ago (see below),
> but I imagine other issues were more pressing. I've not tested
> whether current versions still do this.

That's great.  Did you file a bug with this information to ensure that
it doesn't get lost?  The mailing lists are high traffic, and we do miss
things from time to time.

-garrett

Re: possible .svn corruption

Posted by Bruce DeVisser <bm...@look.ca>.
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 08:52:36PM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> "James Goodall" <jg...@dmetrix.com> writes:
>
> > svn: start_handler: error processing command 'merge' in ''
> >
> > svn: Error calling external program
> >
> > svn: svn_io_run_diff3: Error running 'C:\Cygwin\bin\diff3.exe':  exitcode
> > was 2, args were:
>
> Dudes.  Go *right now* and comment out the diff-cmd,
> diff3-cmd, and diff3-has-program-arg options!  Subversion
> has new(er) hotness -- an internal diff/merge library,
> compliments of Sander Striker.

Two points:

1. The internal diff doesn't accept some of the handier diff
options, such as '-b'.

    Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:43:39 -0500
    From: Bruce DeVisser <bm...@look.ca>
    Subject: Bug: update trashes WC
    To: dev@subversion.tigris.org

    This is using the precompiled svn 0.19.0 on W2K, and
    ra_local access.

    If diff3 is flakey and returns failure, an update which
    requires merging of code can leave the WC unusable. In my
    case, I was using GNU diff3 compiled for win32 (but
    apparently there is something wrong with it or with my
    setup). Operation is correct if I use the internal diff3,
    but not correctable if I first run with the bogus diff3
    (thereby destabilising things) and then modify the config
    file to revert to the internal diff3.

    I am attaching a log showing the sequence of commands to
    reproduce this error minimally, and the responses given to
    the commands. Also attached is a copy of the entire WC
    directory in a zip file.

    Bruce

RE: possible .svn corruption

Posted by James Goodall <jg...@dmetrix.com>.
> Dudes.  Go *right now* and comment out the diff-cmd, diff3-cmd, and
> diff3-has-program-arg options!  Subversion has new(er) hotness -- an
> internal diff/merge library, compliments of Sander Striker.

I took a look at %APPDATA%/Subversion/config and the entries for the
external diff were already commented out.  The culprit was lying in the
registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  It must have been put there by an _old_
installer program.

Thanks.

 - James

Re: possible .svn corruption