Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/02/02 19:57:51 UTC

Olympics (was: Re: What is Struts? (was: Re: What is Avalon?))

on 2/2/01 1:34 AM, "Ceki Gülcü" <cg...@urbanet.ch> wrote:

> Sun is doing a great job at convincing people to use their technology. This is
> truly a Herculean task and imho constitutes a major achievement for Sun.

Nope. Sun is doing a great job emulating M$. JSP is only better than ASP
simply because it is Java, not because it is a better design. Is JSP better
than .NET? I don't know yet, but M$ usually doesn't make the same mistakes
with regards to technology decisions twice. Anyone remember that M$ was
"missing" on the Internet for so long and when Bill woke up, he assimilated
as much Internet related stuff as he could.

Spelling it out:

What I would love to see, more than anything in this world at this point
(besides whirrled peas), is Microsoft to announce that it is going to Open
Source its entire .Net platform on May 28th...exactly two weeks before
JavaOne.

History tells us that JavaOne is the only time of the year that anyone in
Open Source land can get Sun to do something positive for the overall
communities and this usually happens as a result of some weird Sun internal
firestorm pressure to do things quickly right before JavaOne.

We spent about a year trying to convince Sun to Open Source Tomcat. Suddenly
a few weeks before JavaOne the firestorm happened and the next thing I know
is that I'm on stage with Brian, Pier, Stefano and Patricia at her JavaOne
keynote making the big announcement.

    Timeline:

         1998: Jakarta/Tomcat
         1999: Apache/XML
         2000: Open Source Java (tm)?

So, what should we hope for this year from Sun? So far, I expect pretty
little since there hasn't been any real new acronyms popping up like gold
(probably due to the current .bomb mess).

However, seeing M$ come up with something really good would be great
pressure for Sun to emulate something else from M$.

2 weeks would just be a nice world speed record for the gold.

-jon