Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bill <ad...@vci.net> on 2006/10/17 23:58:42 UTC

FuzzyOCR/SpamAssassin questions

I just installed FuzzyOCR and have questions about 2 things:

1) I am getting the following errors in the fuzzy.log file. Are these
something I should be concerned about? I have verbose enabled.

FuzzyOcr received timeout after running "10" seconds.

Unexpected error in pipe to external programs.
Please check that all helper programs are installed and in the correct path.
(Pipe Command "/usr/bin/giftopnm -", Pipe exit code 1 (""), Temporary file:
"/tmp/.spamassassin4571WcpHuTtmp")

2) The server I installed this on handles a fairly small volume of email
each day. I would like to install it on higher volume mail server but am
afraid FuzzyOCR would overload it. Both servers are Xeon 2.6 with about 2
gig of RAM. I ue MimeDefang and the latest SpamAssassin. Is there something
I can adjust in FuzzyOCR to make it more efficient? I have the Priority
setting set to 900    I have MimeDefang set to reject emails that score over
14. Can I set FuzzyOCR/SpamAssassin to NOT scan the graphics if the email
already scores over 14 and will be rejected anyway?

Bill

Re: FuzzyOCR/SpamAssassin questions

Posted by decoder <de...@own-hero.net>.

Re: FuzzyOCR/SpamAssassin questions

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Bill wrote:

> I just installed FuzzyOCR and have questions about 2 things:
>
> 1) I am getting the following errors in the fuzzy.log file. Are these
> something I should be concerned about? I have verbose enabled.
>
> FuzzyOcr received timeout after running "10" seconds.
>
> Unexpected error in pipe to external programs.
> Please check that all helper programs are installed and in the correct path.
> (Pipe Command "/usr/bin/giftopnm -", Pipe exit code 1 (""), Temporary file:
> "/tmp/.spamassassin4571WcpHuTtmp")

Crank up the logging verbosity level to get FuzzyOCR to tell you more
about what is going on. (" focr_verbose 2 " in  FuzzyOcr.cf file).
Make sure that you've got the necessary PBM helper apps installed.
If you do a "ls -l /usr/bin/giftopnm" do you see the expected program?

One thing that can trigger those 'Unexpected error' messages, a corrupted
image file in the spam.

> 2) The server I installed this on handles a fairly small volume of email
> each day. I would like to install it on higher volume mail server but am
> afraid FuzzyOCR would overload it. Both servers are Xeon 2.6 with about 2
> gig of RAM. I ue MimeDefang and the latest SpamAssassin. Is there something
> I can adjust in FuzzyOCR to make it more efficient? I have the Priority
> setting set to 900    I have MimeDefang set to reject emails that score over
> 14. Can I set FuzzyOCR/SpamAssassin to NOT scan the graphics if the email
> already scores over 14 and will be rejected anyway?

The default FuzzyOCR setup is to not scan graphics if the email already
scores 10. Read the FuzzyOcr.cf config file, look at the
"focr_autodisable_score" parameter.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>