Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2019/09/13 02:53:40 UTC

AdministratorId Documentation

Since it appears I'm not going to be able to build James 3.3.0 in the
foreseeable future, I'm now moving to plan d, e, f, or whatever... .I've
lost count.

My goal now is to assess my possibilities of using James 3.3.0 binaries
as-is and discarding the functionality I had hoped to re-add to 3.3.0
from 30b5 or moving the functionality to mailets that I can compile
outside of doing a full James build.

One thing I had added to beta5 was the ability to have a super-user,
master-key id that could be used in my custom external imap mailbox
maintenance utilities.  I've spent several hours digging through the
3.3.0 source code, and I see code referencing "administratorId".  From
what I can deduce from the code, the Authenticator and Authorizator
classes seem to accept this administrator id as the equivalent of the
master key I added to b5.  So can I access UserABC's mailbox through
imap but use my administratorId and password?  If that's the case, then
that's exactly what I need.  The problem is I can't find any
documentation on how to use administratorId.  Where do I define it?  And
how do I pass it on imap calls using the javax.mail.Store and other
classes in javax.mail that I use to access imap?

Jerry

Re: AdministratorId Documentation

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
This is a followup to an earlier discussion.  I have a very large number
of imap utilities that I use to maintain my clients' accounts and
mailboxes.  They were all written using javax.mail's version of the IMAP
interface.   Your code reference below was very helpful.  But I realized
I would have to change all of my javax.mail code to commons.net.  It was
going to be worth it if I could get the delegate function.  But I still
was dreading the amount of migration/testing work.

So.... I did a bit of playing around looking at what was really
happening to send the admin id, admin pw, and target account in the
login.  Turns out in the javax.mail package, if you use:

               store.connect(host, port, user + "\0" + adminId, adminPW);

it logs in correctly with delegation.  So as much as I appreciate your
code :-),  a one-line change to my javax.mail login code won out over
almost a full rewrite of all my utilities.

Jerry

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
I'm happy to have helped you with this.

Sadly my JPA knowledge is not that important, hence I might not be able
to answer all of your questions...

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
Tellier,

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
I believe I'm just using the basic javax.mail.* that comes with JDK
1.8.   Do I need to move to a later imap implementation package?

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
Wich library are you using?

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.