Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Bill Tschumy <bi...@otherwise.com> on 2004/09/07 17:41:00 UTC

Use of "+" and "-" in queries

I don't understand the difference in using + and - in queries compared
to using AND and NOT.  Even the Query Syntax document seems a bit
confused.  In the section on the NOT operator it says:

 > To search for documents that contain "jakarta apache" but not
"jakarta lucene" use the query:

Re: Use of "+" and "-" in queries

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Bill,

No difference, it's just that Lucene's query syntax recognizes both
'NOT' and '-' and uses them the same way - to exclude certain documents
from sesrch results.

Otis