Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com> on 2012/11/07 01:40:56 UTC

iOS' device API

Currently if you ask for device.platform you will get several different
backwards. IMO all of these should return 'iOS'.

Related, device.name returns the custom device name as the user defines it
in iTunes. IMO it should return the model name, I.e. What device.platform
returns now.

This would line it up with our docs + other platforms.

Re: Accessibility + PhoneGap

Posted by Becky Gibson <gi...@gmail.com>.
On iOS you should be able to make a PhoneGap based application accessible
via VoiceOver using basic accessibility practices and ARIA in your HTML
files.   Any of the device UI within the Cordova core plugins should be
accessible.  The camera and contacts views are provided by Apple and are
accessible.   Cordova provides the CaptureAudio UI and it was made
accessible.

Note that most of the plugins that access UI device features may NOT
accessible without some additional accessibility parameters - toolbar,
navigation bar, etc.

Also, not all of the mobile JS frameworks have implemented accessibility
features so you'll have to do some testing.

-becky

Re: Accessibility + PhoneGap

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: Accessibility + PhoneGap

Posted by Laurent Hasson <lh...@rim.com>.
For Web content stuff though, I think most modern browsers support things like ARIA no? And frameworks such as jQueryMobile, Dojo or Sencha have some support for it.

LDH (Laurent Hasson)
Technical Director, BlackBerry Web Platform
Research In Motion
Email: lhasson@rim.com
Mobile: 646-460-7066
"... He would have given him wings Mr. Kidd." - Mr Wint
Sent from my BlackBerry Torch!

each operating system has some level accessibility features tho we do
nothing to abstract those / it would be custom native code

Re: Accessibility + PhoneGap

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Accessibility + PhoneGap

Posted by Saurabh Kumar Singh <sk...@adobe.com>.
Thanks a lot for your inputs :)
It should be useful for me.

Thanks & Regards,
Saurabh

RE: Accessibility + PhoneGap

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
I'll just go ahead and create the tasks for device.model (and
device.namedeprecation) - if there's a reason not to, please chime in.

http://issues.cordova.io/1850

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Thx duder

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Gord I added https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-1848

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.
+1 that this is suspect.

>>> http://issues.cordova.io/1837
>>> http://issues.cordova.io/1838
>>> http://issues.cordova.io/1839

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Resurrecting this one.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
thanks shaz

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Added:

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 sounds like a plan

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
+1

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Accessibility + PhoneGap

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Agree with Fil to make it consistent - in essence this is an iOS bug :)

Brian, there is one case I can think of -- detecting the iPad mini's
features using js - Max Firt investigated trying to do it
http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/ipad-mini-detection-for-html5-user-agent but
the only kludgy way right now using PG would be device.platform to detect

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: iOS' device API

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.