Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/27 23:28:50 UTC

Re: Best way to do a recommendation engine based on CLR (Click Through Rate)

Do your users click more than once on an item?

If you do intend to use total clicks, at least normalize them by number of
appearances.

Better still, if you have some indicator that the click wasn't adventitious,
use that.  Once upon a time, for instance, we tried clicks on a video.  It
became clear later that successfully watching 30 seconds of video was a much
better indicator since it avoided problems with misleading titles and
possibly even broken videos.  Using a javascript timer to emit a beacon hit
after sitting on a page for a bit is one way to get this kind of info on a
normal web-site.

I generally would be against counting clicks but would rather just collect a
1 if clicks(user, item) > 0