Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org> on 2012/06/07 05:52:16 UTC

How much Lucene 4.0 capability is NOT in Solr 4.0?

I was perusing email from this list and came across LUCENE-4069.  If it
is as good as it says, it looks like a fit for a couple of the fields in
my index.

I will admit that I don't entirely understand all of what's being said
regarding codecs, postings, and other such terms, but because I run a
distributed Solr index, I do understand that not all of Lucene's
functionality is available in Solr.  My question: How much of all the
new bells and whistles in 4.0 will be available in Solr without custom
coding?  In this specific instance, I would like to be able to use
LUCENE-4069, but my question is more general than that -- will it be
possible to take the official Solr 4.0 (or 4.1, or 4.2) download and
specify codecs and other details on a per-field basis?

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: How much Lucene 4.0 capability is NOT in Solr 4.0?

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
"the codec stuff is all useable from solr out of the box"

Is there any doc for that, I mean setting codec config settings from the
Solr level?

-- Jack Krupansky

DocValues (CSF) are not yet supported in solr:

There is not yet a plan for how this would be incorporated.

As Robert already said, the codec stuff is all useable from solr out of the
box

ryan

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/7/2012 12:28 AM, Robert Muir wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Shawn Heisey<so...@elyograg.org>  wrote:
>> In this specific instance, I would like to be able to use LUCENE-4069, but
>> my question is more general than that -- will it be possible to take the
>> official Solr 4.0 (or 4.1, or 4.2) download and specify codecs and other
>> details on a per-field basis?
>
> Maybe you are confused... you can already do this (for over a year).
> See the tests.
>
> Keep in mind that customizing the index format in this way is expert,
> e.g. we don't provide index backwards compatibility for it across
> releases, etc etc.

I have never used trunk/4x, only Solr 1.4.1 and 3.x, and my only
exposure to test internals has been adapting existing tests for
SOLR-2906 and SOLR-3393.  Now that branch_4x has been created, things
will begin to stabilize.  When my schedule clears up a bit, I will do
testing with the new branch.  I am looking forward to the new version
and understanding all the improvements.

I'm not terribly worried about backwards compatibility.  Because of the
javabin version change in 3.1, I abandoned replication in favor of two
independent indexes that are both kept up to date.  Now I can upgrade
and rebuild one index without affecting the other.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

--
lucidimagination.com