Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Mark Claassen <mc...@ocie.net> on 2006/12/15 20:27:23 UTC

Pack200

I though with the java.net project that Pack200 would be included in ANT
1.7.  Is this planned for a future release?

I have an implementation that I modified from somewhere to work like a
fileset.  I have not spent too much time developing ANT tasks, and so it
might need to be cleanup up a bit, but I would be happy to submit it
somewhere if there is interest.

Mark

Re: Pack200

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 12/18/06, Mark Claassen <mc...@ocie.net> wrote:
> Well, be that as it may, I feel that having a pack200 task would be a great
> feature.  We distribute our code via webstart and the pack200 format really
> does do a great job compressing jar files.
>
> The code I got from java.net did not quite work for me and I had to modify
> it quite a bit.  I submitted my modifications back to the project where the
> originals from, but then it didn't go anywhere.  In fact, I can't even find
> the posts I sent with my modifications.  Maybe this is because the java.net
> project (https://java-pack200-ant-task.dev.java.net/) says its defunct.
>
> In any case, is there anything that I can do to get this ball rolling?  I
> don't want to step on any toes, or break any copyrights, but I certainly
> feel that the pack200 should be a part of core ANT.
>
> Mark

The pack200 ant task code
(https://java-pack200-ant-task.dev.java.net/) is licensed
using the "SUN PUBLIC LICENSE"
(http://www.netbeans.org/about/legal/spl.html) and thus not suitable
for including in
ant source.

That been said, the code is a very thin wrapper java.util.jar.Pack200.Pack200.
So, write your our wrapper, create a bugzilla report with the code
testcases and doc attached.

Peter

Re: Pack200

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Mark Claassen wrote:
> Well, I don't think it will be too difficult, and there certainly are a lot
> of core ant tasks I can pull information from.  So, if I get bored sometime,
> maybe I will give it a whirl.  I could still use it, even if no one else
> does. :)
>
> Thanks for the advice.
> Mark

Go for it!

RE: Pack200

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

RE: Pack200

> Well, be that as it may, I feel that having a pack200 task would be a
> great feature.  We distribute our code via webstart and the pack200
> format really does do a great job compressing jar files.
>
> The code I got from java.net did not quite work for me and I had to
> modify it quite a bit.  I submitted my modifications back to the
> project where the originals from, but then it didn't go anywhere.  In
> fact, I can't even find the posts I sent with my modifications.  Maybe
> this is because the java.net project
(https://java-pack200-ant-task.dev.java.net/) says its defunct.

> In any case, is there anything that I can do to get this ball rolling?
> I don't want to step on any toes, or break any copyrights, but I
> certainly feel that the pack200 should be a part of core ANT.
>
> Mark

1. I checked, yes, the deployment.java.net project is, if not dead, pining
for the fjords.

2. Harmony is adding pack200 support too.

any apache ant task would want to work with the Harmony impl, alongside the
sun one, or we go with the harmony one only as a complete redist that may
even work on java1.4 systems. in which case the ant project itself probably
isnt the right place for it, as it is coupled more tightly to the harmony
API

-steve

Re: Pack200

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.