Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by leerho <le...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/17 17:54:17 UTC

[VOTE] Release DataSketches-java 1.0.0-incubating-RC2

### NEW COMPONENT! ###

Hello Apache DataSketches IPMC and Community,

1. This is a call for vote to release Apache DataSketches-java version:
 1.0.0-incubating-RC2

    NOTE 1: This is the core Java component of the DataSketches library
that includes all the sketch algorithms in production-ready packages. These
sketches can be called directly from this component or used in conjunction
with the adaptor components such as Hadoop Pig, Hadoop Hive, or the
aggregator adaptors built into Apache Druid.

    NOTE 2: This release contains some critical performance improvements
and bug fixes for Apache Druid.

    NOTE 3: Changes from RC1: The previous RC1 had a bug in the release
script which caused the SHA512sum to fail. Some very minor updates to the
LICENSE, NOTICE, and pom.xml files. Otherwise no code changes.

  A. Results from the PPMC vote:

     - 3 (+1) votes. One of the votes was a Mentor.

     - The vote thread can be found at the Permalink:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/datasketches-dev/201909.mbox/%3CCA%2BUaPnsfS9YgXREXixxvGvKbF_aLbMTPN1hTjq1ewfa3k9JBJw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

  B. Testing/actions/votes performed by the voters in the PPMC Stage 1:

    - Alex Saydakov: (+1)
      Verified signature and checksum.
      The package looks fine. Licenses are present.
      Unit tests run successfully.

    - Jon Malkin: (+1)
      Verified signature and checksum
      Licenses/notices present, although I still need to learn details of
what
      they're supposed to include so I just checked for non-empty files
      Successfully compiled and ran unit tests.

    - Furkan Kamaci: (+1)
      - Incubating in name
      - DISCLAIMER exists
      - LICENSE and NOTICE are fine
      - No unexpected binary files
      - Checked PGP signatures
      - Checked Checksums
      - Code compiles and tests successfully run

      Minor things:

      1) You can update README file at GitHub both for how to compile it and
      discussion & support. i.e.: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr
      2) Seems that project fails to run tests when folder name has space
      character.  (See Note below under Build and Test Guide)

  C. Additional Notes:
    - The LICENSE and NOTICE files may not be in their final form. All the
information is present, but some of the information in the NOTICE file
needs to be moved to the LICENSE file. This is the result of continued
discussions with Justin Mclean.

2. The release candidate:
    -
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/java/1.0.0-incubating-RC2/

3. Source repository:
    - https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-java

    Git Tag for this release:
    -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-java/tree/1.0.0-incubating-RC2
on branch 1.0.X-incubating

    Git HashId for this release starts with: f8abbbe

    The artifacts have been signed with --keyid-format SHORT : 8CD4A902

4. Repository: dist.apache.org repository:

    The public signing key can be found in the KEYS file:
    - https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/KEYS

5. Repository: Maven Central (repository.apache.org):

    The Jar artifacts can be found at
    -
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/datasketches/datasketches-java/1.0.0-incubating/

6. Build & Test Guide: (assuming you have Maven)

    The DataSketches-java component is pure Java and is structured as a
Maven project.  You must compile using JDK 8. There is one run-time
dependency of the DataSketches-memory component (recently released), and,
of course, a number of test and Maven plugin dependencies, all of which can
be resolved by Maven.

    NOTE: The directory elements of the full absolute path of the target
directory for your unzipped archive must qualify as Java identifiers.  In
other words,
    the directory elements must not have any space characters (or non-Java
identifier characters) in any of the path elements.
    This is actually required by the Oracle Java Specification in order to
ensure location-independent access to resources:
      (
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/lang/resources.html).
    This component does access resource files for testing. The next release
will have a fix that should be tolerant of spaces at least, but this note
should remain.

    There are two types of tests: normal unit tests and tests run by the
strict profile.  To run normal unit tests:

      $ mvn clean test

    To run the strict profile tests:

      $ mvn clean test -P strict

    To install jars in your local .m2 repository:

      $ mvn clean install -DskipTests=true

7. Documentation: The documentation for the DataSketches Java component is
part of the website.

    The Overview section on the website has extensive documentation on all
the sketches:
    - https://datasketches.github.io

    Javadocs:
    - https://datasketches.github.io/api/core/snapshot/apidocs/index.html

8. This vote is the 2nd stage vote:
   - This voting process will remain open for at least 72 hours
     and until at least 3 (+1) IPMC votes or a majority of (+1) are
acquired.

Please vote accordingly:

    [ ] +1 approve
    [ ] +0 no opinion
    [ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thanks,
Lee Rhodes
leerho@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release DataSketches-java 1.0.0-incubating-RC2

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding - carrying my vote)

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Thank you for the vote.

The code for this Release Candidate was frozen as of Tuesday, 17 September
at 17:54 GMT.  Since that time our team has engaged with you a number of
times to perfect our handling of the LICENSE and NOTICE files.   The
current version of how these two files will look in the next release can be
found in the GitHub master branch:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-java.

If you still find that these new versions of the LICENSE and NOTICE files
do not meet your requirements, please let us know.

With respect to the 9 items mentioned above:

Items 1, 2, 3, are appropriately mentioned in the new version of the
LICENSE referenced above.  (They were mentioned in the RC2 version but in
the wrong place.)

Item 4 is mentioned under the Public Domain section of the new LICENSE.

Items 5, 7, 8, 9 are references to published research papers  (arxiv.org is
a repository of scientific research papers) There is no code in these
papers that was copied or even adapted in our product.  Referencing these
papers allows users to find the mathematical proofs of why these algorithms
work.

Item 6 is a reference to our own website and our own work.

Thank you for the time you have spent on this!

Lee.

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
 +1 ( binding )

- Incubating in name
- DISCLAIMER exists
- Checked PGP signatures
- Checked Checksums
- Code builds from maven and Unit tests passes

Regards
Kevin

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Sep 17, 2019, at 12:47 PM, leerho <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for your vote!
>
> Please elaborate on:
>
>> I had to “guess” at the build instruction - `mvn clean install`
>

> What additional instructions should I add ?

The README.md should explicitly mention `mvn clean install` along with some context and also list the resulting target jars that are created and what is in each. I should not have to depend on navigating an MD file.

An Alternative would be a BUILD.txt or BUILD.md.

> Also, we have been corresponding with Justin on the structure of the
> LICENSE and NOTICE files and will get this straightened out with the next
> release :)

Yup.

Regards,
Dave