Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jon Smith <jo...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/15 01:46:30 UTC

[configuration] individual expression engines in combined configuration

Hi,

I don't get the individual expression engines to work in a combined
configuration. For example:

<configuration>
  <additional>
    <xml fileName="myfile.xml"/>
    <xml fileName="otherfile.xml"><expressionEngine
config-class="...XPathExpressionEngine"/></xml>
  </additional>
</configuration

Above file still uses DefaultExpressionEngine (i.e., I have to use default
expressions to get values out instead of xpath for properties found in
second file). I am using 1.6.

The fetchNodeList() method, in HierarchicalConfiguration class, calls
getExpressionEngine() of CombinedConfiguration but not of the individual
configuration this key is found in.

User Guide says that both global expression engines, and local, are
possible.

Any pointers to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Re: [configuration] individual expression engines in combined configuration

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
CombinedConfiguration is truly a combined configuration.  The root is the combined configuration and its properties. As it navigates it will traverse to nodes provided by the other configurations but it won't get the expression engine from those nodes.  To be honest, I'm not sure how a CombinedConfiguration could even work properly if it used multiple expression engines.

Ralph