Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Joel Brown <jo...@e-printwerx.com> on 2002/05/14 10:27:39 UTC

Fop + Batik versions

Hi-

I am keen to get as recent as possible a version of Batik to work with
FOP for SVG-to-PDF conversion. The command I am issuing is:

C:\fop-0.20.3\lib>java -cp
batik.jar;\batik-1.5\lib\crimson-parser.jar;..\build\fop.jar
org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main -m application/pdf
F:\test\test.svg

I have tried FOP-0.20.3 and it doesn't produce as good results as
displayed in the Batik 1.5b2 svgbrowser- drop shadows, transparency,
gradients etc are displayed well in the Batik svgbrowser but badly in
the PDF. I presume this is due to Batik developments since the snapshot
taken at release 0.20.3 of FOP.

I have tried taking the latest FOP source but get the exception shown
below.

Is there any way I can get a more up-to-date version of Batik to work
with FOP for SVG->PDF? I am prepared to do some work but am by no means
a FOP/Batik expert.

Thanks-

Joel.

C:\xml-fop\lib>java -cp
batik.jar;\batik-1.5\lib\crimson-parser.jar;..\build\fop.jar
org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main c:\temp\fidbc_a.svg
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error
        at
org.apache.batik.util.ApplicationSecurityEnforcer.setJarBase(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.batik.util.ApplicationSecurityEnforcer.installSecurityManager
(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.batik.util.ApplicationSecurityEnforcer.enforceSecurity(Unknow
n Source)
        at org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main.execute(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main.main(Unknown Source)

Fop + Batik versions

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

JB> I am keen to get as recent as possible a version of Batik to work with
JB> FOP for SVG-to-PDF conversion. [...]

JB> I have tried FOP-0.20.3 and it doesn't produce as good results as
JB> displayed in the Batik 1.5b2 svgbrowser- drop shadows, transparency,
JB> gradients etc are displayed well in the Batik svgbrowser but badly in
JB> the PDF. I presume this is due to Batik developments since the snapshot
JB> taken at release 0.20.3 of FOP.

    Actually this is due to FOP not implementing transparency.  See,
FOP tries to preserve vector data in the generated PDF.  The problem
is that when it runs across a filter effect it needs to convert the
element to a bitmap which it does, but often that bitmap has an
associated alpha channel.  When this happens they currently have to
punt by compositing the transparent bitmap with solid white and use
the resulting image (that has no alpha channel).  Going forward they
have two other options.  First they set the code up to abandon the
current conversion when this happens and then reconvert sending
everything to a bitmap.  Second they could implement PDF transparency
and hence preserve the alpha channel.

    The second route will generally give better results and I believe
this is there intended route, but I have no idea what the time line
might be on that.  Doing the first might be easier for them in the
short term, but I don't think they have plans to pursue it.

JB> I have tried taking the latest FOP source but get the exception shown
JB> below.

JB> Is there any way I can get a more up-to-date version of Batik to work
JB> with FOP for SVG->PDF? I am prepared to do some work but am by no means
JB> a FOP/Batik expert.

    The error below looks like a problem with a missing property.
Vincent may be able to help you out here.  A big issue is that Batik
has been moving so fast that it hasn't been worth while for FOP to try
and track CVS Batik (much of the problem lies with us as we are still
adding significant new functionality so interfaces that they are
relying on change, or as in this example our code starts to rely on
additional application support - We try and help as much as possible,
but...).