Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2009/11/13 10:48:17 UTC

[classlib] Testing multithreaded behaviour

Those clever guys at google wrote so code to help testing multithread
behaviour:

  http://code.google.com/p/thread-weaver/

Anyone tried this?  I wonder if we could use this to avoid arbitrary
sleeps that slow down our tests and potentially make them unstable?

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [classlib] Testing multithreaded behaviour

Posted by Sean Qiu <se...@gmail.com>.
Sound interesting, our unit test on hand didn't cover this area.

On the other hand, maybe we can write our code in a thread safe way.
Then all exist tests can be reused in concurrent environment.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Best Regards
Sean, Xiao Xia Qiu

Posted by Jesse Wilson <je...@google.com>.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Mark Hindess
<ma...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Anyone tried this?  I wonder if we could use this to avoid arbitrary
> sleeps that slow down our tests and potentially make them unstable?

That's what Weaver is intended for! And it also lets you test concurrency
problems that are usually too complex to bother, which I think is more
important than the flakiness. And just having Weaver around makes us more
likely to spend time thinking through our tricky concurrency problems.

I recommend Weaver. (although I'm quite biased, scripts were my idea/fault)