Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.co.za> on 2004/02/20 10:51:39 UTC

8BITMIME support

Hi,

I am curious as to the status of james supporting ESMTP 8BITMIME. Following a discussion on the
mailing list 2 years back, a bug was filed under
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=JAMES-52 noting that 8BITMIME was not
supported (and therefore correctly not advertised in response to EHLO).

I am curious because I have found no problems with 8bit messages passing through my James 2.20a15,
which is running on a Linux box with a default character set of ASCII. I am using db repositories in
all cases. Is the problem something like support in file repositories, or perhaps something more
fundamental?

Thanks,
Craig

Re: 8BITMIME support

Posted by Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.co.za>.
Hontvari Jozsef wrote:
 > I was thinking about this too, I guess most of the work comes from the
 > requirement, that if you accept 8bitmime, then you have to be able to
 > convert it to 7bit, because a recipient server may not support 8bitmime.

You are right, although, until recently, thats not the way Postfix went about it :>

The actual decoding and encoding is handled by javax.mail.internet.MimeUtility, so it would be a
matter of checking the receiving MTA's EHLO response and running through the body parts to do the
conversion and resetting the Content-Transfer-Encoding header.

There are a number of issues with this MIME processing however, such as dealing with incorrect and
badly formatted MIME headers. Do you reject an email if is RFC-invalid, or try to send it anyway?

Re: 8BITMIME support

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.