Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2007/05/10 15:18:06 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication: Firefox requires twice while Explorer only once

On 5/10/07, Guillermo Pallarés <gu...@sacnet.es> wrote:

>   I have set up current Apache 2.2 version for Debian Etch (package installation) and implemented authentication with the following lines in the sites-avaliable/default files:
>
>  <Directory ***>
>    AllowOverride AuthConfig

AllowOverride only affects .htaccess files. It isn't needed here.

>  Autentication seems to be working fine for Internet Explorer clients, and Firefox under Linux. The problem is with Firefox under windows (I have only tried Windows xp).
>  After the usual authentication window, a second Windows xp window appears (see bottom of the mail), requiring the user and password again. If data is correct, then everything works fine, but I guess this is not a desirable situation.

Sounds like this:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html#prompted-twice

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication: Firefox requires twice while Explorer only once

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/10/07, Guillermo Pallarés <gu...@sacnet.es> wrote:

>  What kind of "call to this file" do you use?
>  The call is <frame marginwidth = "0" marginheight = "5" src="clock.html"
> name = "sac" scrolling = "no" frameborder = "0">
>  If this line is removed, then the second autenticathion doesn't appear.
>

>  You should trace all the requests your browser is making as part of
>  whatever document is being requested. In one of these requests, the
>  hostname is probably changing, resulting in the new auth.
>  (Alternatively, perhaps there is simply a browser bug causing it to
>  forget credentials.) But there is really no way for us to know what is
>  going on from this side of the firewall. I have tried to perform a trace by
> using Ethereal. Please find the complete .cat file attached, from the first
> log in until the second autenticathion is requested. I guess the most
> important part is the end, because at some point the browser stops sending
> the aut info at the end of the frame. I don't know if it is casual but that
> point is when a .JAR file request is sent.

Yes, the key is here:

GET /lib/sv600.jar HTTP/1.1
[...]
[...]

So firefox isn't making this request, it is java doing it directly.
And java doesn't have the required credentials resulting in a new
password prompt.

I know nothing about embedding java applets. You're probably better
off looking for a forum with some expertise in that subject. Here
you'll find mostly apache experts, and this problem has nothing to do
with apache.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication: Firefox requires twice while Explorer only once

Posted by Guillermo Pallarés <gu...@sacnet.es>.

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication: Firefox requires twice while Explorer only once

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/10/07, Guillermo Pallarés <gu...@sacnet.es> wrote:

>  Yes Joshua I did add a UseCanonicalName off line in my apache2.conf file
> and made sure that the server name is the same as the one in the url (it is
> an internal network, so the IP address is being used). Regarding the use of
> the trailing slash, I guess that is the problem I am having right not, but I
> can't know how.
>
>  I can't give you a public URL because I don't have access to the router,
> but I can give you the piece of html which is generating the error (if I
> comment the call to this file, then the second autenticathion request
> doesn't appear). Please see the attached file clock.html (I didn't find any
> trailing slash problem there)

What kind of "call to this file" do you use?

You should trace all the requests your browser is making as part of
whatever document is being requested. In one of these requests, the
hostname is probably changing, resulting in the new auth.
(Alternatively, perhaps there is simply a browser bug causing it to
forget credentials.) But there is really no way for us to know what is
going on from this side of the firewall.

(By the way, you have set Thunderbird to use the <small> font size for
your emails. This is rather annoying, even for someone with decent
vision.)

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication: Firefox requires twice while Explorer only once

Posted by Guillermo Pallarés <gu...@sacnet.es>.

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication: Firefox requires twice while Explorer only once

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 5/10/07, Guillermo Pallarés <gu...@sacnet.es> wrote:

>  Thank you Joshua for the AllowOverride tip. I didn't know that.
>
>  I have tried the solution you posted, but it doesn't seem to solve the
> problem; I guess that is not exactly the same problem because in my case
> autenticathion does work fine always but with the combination Windows and
> Firefox.

Did you actually try following the advice in the FAQ?

Can you provide a public URL with username/password so we can try it?

Joshua.