Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2008/04/17 01:14:52 UTC

[ApacheDS] Problems with instances and apacheds-tools

I thought I'd mention that we have a major issue with the server-tools which
is used to generate the apacheds-tools.jar file.  The problem rests with the
way these new installers separate out the installation footprint.

There is a InstallationLayout class used to holds all the paths to various
parts of an installation.  It pre-dates the changes to installers which
introduced this idea of instances.  Unfortunately it does not track
instances.  It presumes the partitions directory inside the installation
root contains all the partitions instead of looking into the appropriate
instance folder in the /var/lib/apachceds-x.x/ directory.

This means we can no longer use the ApacheDS tools to do things like dump
partitions and rebuild indices.  The recent 1.5.2 release has this problem.
I went ahead and released anyway since this is an experimental feature
introduction release.  It can contain bugs like this which we can rectify in
later releases.  However this problem is pretty limiting and we need to fix
it to match the new way in which we deal with instances.

Alex

Re: [ApacheDS] Problems with instances and apacheds-tools

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org> wrote:

> I remember discussing this on IRC at some point, but it seems like there
> was some talk of re-writing the apacheds-tools and that would attempt to
> accommodate the path changes.  I have never really looked at the code for
> apacheds-tools so I am not sure what to suggest off the top of my head.

OK. I was wondering if you did anything in there.

> Could the tools be modified to accept an instance argument and use
> instance relative paths?

Yeah this was exactly what I was thinking.  At this point we have a -i
switch used for the software installation path.  I think we can infer the
installation root from the classpath because the apacheds-tools.jar is on
that path.  Then we can use the -i switch for the instance name.

Is the folder for instances always going to be /var/lib/apacheds-${version}
for all *NIX systems? We're ok on Windows with a ${install.home}/instances
or something similar.

Alex

Posted by Chris Custine <cc...@apache.org>.
I remember discussing this on IRC at some point, but it seems like there was
some talk of re-writing the apacheds-tools and that would attempt to
accommodate the path changes.  I have never really looked at the code for
apacheds-tools so I am not sure what to suggest off the top of my head.

Could the tools be modified to accept an instance argument and use instance
relative paths?

Chris