Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Yves Martin <yv...@elca.ch> on 2005/03/01 16:06:47 UTC

Launching Ant again

   Hello,

 I'm facing a difficult issue in my build system development.

 The b.s. generates a 'build.xml' from a 'project.xml'.

 When invoking a target 'compile' (for instance) in the current 'build.xml',
 the 'build.xml' may be out-of-date compared to the 'project.xml'.

 Here are the possibilities I imagine:

 1- fail with a clear message asking for a manual configuration and a new run.

 2- configure to update build.xml and fail asking for a new run of the same
    command.

 3- configure, reload Ant Project from the new 'build.xml' and go on with the
    new project

 4- configure, give up current Ant processing, invoke a new Ant on the new
    'build.xml' with the same command line

 Is case '3' really feasible. If yes, how can I do ?

 I'm almost sure case '4' is feasible. But how can I get the current process
 command line to invoke a new Ant ?

 Is there another way to do the complete process or only one step ?

 Thank you in advance for your help
 Regards
--
Yves Martin

Re: Launching Ant again

Posted by Yves Martin <yv...@elca.ch>.
Phil Weighill-Smith <ph...@volantis.com> writes:

> You could make your build generate a "build-targets.xml" from the
> project.xml then have a standard build.xml that:
>
> 1. invokes a task that will re-generate the build-targets.xml from
> project.xml if it is out-of-date
> 2. imports build-targets.xml

 That's an option. I will try.
 But I think '-projecthelp' command will have difficulty to report all
 available targets if the default build.xml is used.

 Thank you for your idea
--
Yves Martin

Re: Launching Ant again

Posted by Phil Weighill-Smith <ph...@volantis.com>.
You could make your build generate a "build-targets.xml" from the
project.xml then have a standard build.xml that:

1. invokes a task that will re-generate the build-targets.xml from
project.xml if it is out-of-date
2. imports build-targets.xml

This is exactly what our build system does.

Phil :n)

--
Phil Weighill-Smith <ph...@volantis.com>
Volantis Systems