Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/01 01:05:46 UTC

[DRAFT] Gora Report

Hi All,
We need to report again this month. Please see below for the report
and please add/remove content where you see appropriate. I'll get this
committed when we are done.
Thanks
Lewis

-------------------------------------

The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key
value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Apache Hadoop MapReduce support.

Project Releases

The Apache Gora team was happy to announce the release of Gora 0.2.1 on
7th August 2012. No releases have been made since however a clear staregy
has been established for the 0.3 release.

Overall Project Activity since last report

Since last reporting, the PMC has geared the development drive towards the 0.3
release. We have addressed and resolved 28 of 33 issues meaning that the
progression towards an RC for 0.3 is well on the way. We currently have two
blockers which nee to be addressed before we can consider the 0.3 RC.

Activity on the user@ list has been very slow since last reporting. It was
invisaged that after ApacheConEU user interest might pick up slightly, however
this has not materialized as we hoped.
Activity on dev@ has developed in line with our expectations as we move towards
more regular Gora releases. Generally speaking more work needs to be done in an
attempt to make it easier for people to use Gora. This is something which the
PMC need to work on.

Changes to PMC & Committers

The Gora PMC were very pleased to invite and have Alfonso Nishikawa
join our ranks in
early December. After working with the PMC to ensure smooth transition
into the Apache
community Alfonso is now contributing to Gora and making a real impact. Alfonso
also joined the Gora PMC.

PMC and Committer diversity

We currently have committers from a wide variety of Apache projects including,
Nutch, Tika, OODT, Camel, Solr, Accumulo, Whirr & Hadoop (this is not
an exhaustive
list). We are still actively seeking one or more members to join the team from
the Avro community so this will be a main target for us in the future
post 0.3 release.

Project Branding or Naming issues

NONE

Legal issues