Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> on 2019/05/13 19:24:04 UTC

How do I go about podling I.P. clearance for the initial codebase?

Hi incubator,

I am mentoring Datasketches and I am not clear on the I.P. clearance
process for new podlings. We have a collection of filed ICLAs and SGA. What
do I do now?

Here are the resources I know of and have tried to incorporate into doing
my own homework:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ip_clearance.html: podling guide for
I.P. clearance talks about the big picture, and then links to...

https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/: I have done this clearance for
new additions to Beam but despite the link from the podling guide it says
it is not for new projects, and then links to...

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html: linked from the above via a
couple of routes, has a self-link
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-ip-clearance which
is a dead link.

So I have looked over
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?general@incubator.apache.org for any
threads about the issue, or for any sign that there was a lazy consensus
clearance thread. I simply did not find anything, perhaps due to my own
skill at searching.

Any pointers or tips? Have I simply missed the details of the process in
one of those pages?

Kenn

Re: How do I go about podling I.P. clearance for the initial codebase?

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kenn,

What Dave said. And...

The copyright license (part of SGA or CCLA) needs to be verified before the copyright notices in each file are changed to Apache headers. This is described (hopefully well enough) in the incubating status https://incubator.apache.org/projects/datasketches.html under the Copyright section: "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project."

This is where you could put the date/time that the Secretary acknowledged receipt of the SGA or CCLA. If multiple documents cover parts of the code, all of them can be listed here.

Usually (but not always) Secretary knows enough from context that a document is of interest to a podling. "Not always" is the reason that it is always good to cc: private@podling when submitting documents.

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: How do I go about podling I.P. clearance for the initial codebase?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Kenneth,

I’m sorry about the state of documentation.

Let’s separate the ICLA requirement from the SGA question.

(1) Each initial committer / PPMC member needs to have an ICLA on file with secretary@apache before their account is created. The mentors are responsible for tracking this and making sure that the podling roster is up to date.

(2) SGAs are typically needed when the project code is donated by a company, these go to secretary@. A CCLA might substitute for that, but that is up to legal-discuss@apache. Once the IP is cleared then Infra will work with the PPMC to transfer repositories to the Apache repositories on GitBox and GitHub.

(3) Once the repositories are moved then further steps of Copyright and License header change can be done. These changes should be made by a PPMC member from the company making the donation.

I’m flagging this thread in order to look into documentation improvements. Patches are welcome at GitHub.com/Apache/incubator/