Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Murphy <mm...@arroco.com> on 2004/02/26 01:47:30 UTC

RH9, RPMs, and the Berkeley DB error

Environment: virgin Red Hat 9 with the stock db4_4.0.14-20 edition of
Berkeley DB.

Subversion: from the RH9 1.0.0-1 RPMs that Mr. Summers is kindly making
available (many thanks!)

And...I'm getting the "Function not found" error mentioned in the FAQ
when attempting to create my first repository. The FAQ makes it seem
like I recompiled the kernel, which I didn't.

I downloaded and built 4.2.52 of Berkeley DB, but I don't generally
compile widely-shared libs like this from source (yeah, yeah, I'm a
wuss), and I haven't a clue how to tell SVN to use the newer db4 libs.
Suffice it to say that simply ./configure, make, make install didn't
change anything from SVN's standpoint, as I still get the error.

Anything I can do to use the SVN RPMs, by pointing them to the right
Berkeley DB stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Murphy
ArroCo
mmurphy@arroco.com

Re: fedora core 1 and svn 1.0

Posted by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com>.
although fc1 has db4 4.1 i think. didn't somebody mention problems with
4.1? should i upgrade to 4.2?

thanks,
alvin

--
Alvin Thompson

Navy: 34
Army: 6

Re: fedora core 1 and svn 1.0

Posted by Alvin Thompson <al...@thompsonlogic.com>.
cool, thanks!

--
Alvin Thompson

Navy: 34
Army: 6

Re: fedora core 1 and svn 1.0

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

fedora core 1 and svn 1.0

Re: RH9, RPMs, and the Berkeley DB error

Posted by Mark Murphy <mm...@arroco.com>.
David Summers wrote:
> Just curious, was there something that the RedHat 9 db4-4.0.14-20.i386.rpm
> built in to RedHat 9 wouldn't do for you?

I don't know. Changing db4 wasn't my idea.

To recap:

-- I installed RH9 on a server several months ago
-- I installed the SVN 1.0.0-1 RH9 RPMs per the instructions
-- I got the "Function not found" error

The FAQ provides the following resolutions for that error:

-- "Rebuild db4 for the kernel you're using", which is what led me down
the path that resulted in my previous message

-- "Use a RedHat 9 kernel", which I am already and is giving me the error

-- "Apply the NPTL patches to the kernel you're using", which causes
question marks to appear in the thought balloon over my head

-- "Use a recent (2.5.x) kernel with the NPTL support included", which
is beyond the scope of my interest in all of this

-- "Check if environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is set to 2.2.5 , and
if so, unset it before starting  Subversion (Apache). (You usually would
set this variable to run Wine or Winex on RedHat 9)", and that variable
is not set and my problem isn't from running SVN under Apache

 From other postings on this list, it appears that others are able to
run SVN 1.0 with plain RH9, which means something's odd with my setup,
though I have no idea what or why.

Mark Murphy
ArroCo
mmurphy@arroco.com

Re: RH9, RPMs, and the Berkeley DB error

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Mark Murphy wrote:

> Environment: virgin Red Hat 9 with the stock db4_4.0.14-20 edition of
> Berkeley DB.
>
> Subversion: from the RH9 1.0.0-1 RPMs that Mr. Summers is kindly making
> available (many thanks!)
>
> And...I'm getting the "Function not found" error mentioned in the FAQ
> when attempting to create my first repository. The FAQ makes it seem
> like I recompiled the kernel, which I didn't.
>
> I downloaded and built 4.2.52 of Berkeley DB, but I don't generally
> compile widely-shared libs like this from source (yeah, yeah, I'm a
> wuss), and I haven't a clue how to tell SVN to use the newer db4 libs.
> Suffice it to say that simply ./configure, make, make install didn't
> change anything from SVN's standpoint, as I still get the error.
>
> Anything I can do to use the SVN RPMs, by pointing them to the right
> Berkeley DB stuff?

Just curious, was there something that the RedHat 9 db4-4.0.14-20.i386.rpm
built in to RedHat 9 wouldn't do for you?

(Unless you needed the auto log deletion)

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt