Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Susan Hinrichs <sh...@network-geographics.com> on 2016/09/07 21:09:45 UTC

Proposal for new TS API TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet

This is an API we have been using at Yahoo.  Originally used to get
information about SPDY and HTTP2 when they were implemented with the
plugin interface, but used by other plugin writers to track information
about which plugin created which transactions. The details and PR are
linked off of TS-2987.   Please let me know if you have any comments or
concerns.

  TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet

Fetch the tag of the plugin that created this transaction.

    <https://github.com/shinrich/trafficserver/blob/031978d36b1321eabba4b2d3b95917b5675a2468/doc/reference/api/TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet.en.rst#synopsis>Synopsis

#include <ts/ts.h>

const char * TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet(TSHttpTxn txnp)

    <https://github.com/shinrich/trafficserver/blob/031978d36b1321eabba4b2d3b95917b5675a2468/doc/reference/api/TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet.en.rst#description>Description

This call retrieves the tag associated with the transaction. This tag is
set by the plugin that created the transaction.

    <https://github.com/shinrich/trafficserver/blob/031978d36b1321eabba4b2d3b95917b5675a2468/doc/reference/api/TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet.en.rst#see-also>See
    also

:manpage:`TSHttpConnectWithPluginId(3ts)`
<https://github.com/shinrich/trafficserver/blob/031978d36b1321eabba4b2d3b95917b5675a2468/doc/reference/api/TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet.en.rst#id1>,
:manpage:`TSAPI(3ts)`
<https://github.com/shinrich/trafficserver/blob/031978d36b1321eabba4b2d3b95917b5675a2468/doc/reference/api/TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet.en.rst#id3>

Re: Proposal for new TS API TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.
> On Sep 7, 2016, at 2:09 PM, Susan Hinrichs <sh...@network-geographics.com> wrote:
>

> This is an API we have been using at Yahoo.  Originally used to get information about SPDY and HTTP2 when they were implemented with the plugin interface, but used by other plugin writers to track information about which plugin created which transactions. The details and PR are linked off of TS-2987.   Please let me know if you have any comments or concerns.

+1 This proposal and the associated PR look good to me. I have a use case already :)

> TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet
>
> Fetch the tag of the plugin that created this transaction.
>

>   <https://github.com/shinrich/trafficserver/blob/031978d36b1321eabba4b2d3b95917b5675a2468/doc/reference/api/TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet.en.rst#synopsis>Synopsis
>
> #include <ts/ts.h>
>
> const char * TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet(TSHttpTxn txnp)
>

>   <https://github.com/shinrich/trafficserver/blob/031978d36b1321eabba4b2d3b95917b5675a2468/doc/reference/api/TSHttpTxnPluginTagGet.en.rst#description>Description
>
> This call retrieves the tag associated with the transaction. This tag is set by the plugin that created the transaction.

This is guaranteed to return the same pointer right? Not a copy?