Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by An...@arcor.net on 2003/02/10 16:18:44 UTC

Shutdown.sh does not work when long lasting operations, such as SQL Queries, are still active!

I already tried it on the tomcat-user list but my question problem/question
still remains. The problem
is as described below (and already posted in the tomcat-user list), that tomcat
refuses to stop when long
lasting operations are still running. My primary concern is whether it is ok to
start some extra threads from
within the Http processor threads. The J2EE specification strongly discourages
the use of extra threads. Is there
any impact (besides resource consumption) on the runtime behavoir of tomcat when
starting new threads
from the HTTP Processor threads?

Post on Tomcat-User:

Currently we are running a web application on AIX 4.3.3.0 with ibm jre 1.3.1 and
tomcat 4.0.3 final.
When trying to shutdown the tomcat server by means of shutdown.sh, we encounter
the following problem:
The shutdown script is executed properly but the tomcat server does not
terminate. In my opinion this is
caused by long lasting operations within the http processor threads. In other
words, when we have sql
queries or queries against other backend systems, like Content Manager (CM) or
Enterprise Information Portal (EIP),
the tomcat server does not shutdown the context and call the destroy method
until all http processor threads
have terminated.

Is there a possibility to speed up the shutdown procedure, so that tomcat does
not wait for active threads to come back?
If not is it a feasible solution to wrap long lasting operations in extra
threads and implement a time-out by means of the
Thread.join(long millis)  function within the http processor threads? Does
starting extra threads within the http processor
threads impose a problem to the runtime behavior of the tomcat server?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas