Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/29 22:09:08 UTC

Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Hi,

I'm facing an error while starting Hadoop in HA(2.0.5) cluster , both
the NameNode started in standby mode and not changing the state.

When I tried to do health check through  "hdfs haadmin -checkhealth
<service id> " it's giving me below error.

Failed on local exception:
com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Message missing
required fields: callId, status; Host Details : local host is:
"clone2/XX.XX.XX.XX"; destination host is: "clone1":8020;

 I checked the logs at NN side.

2013-08-30 00:49:16,074 ERROR
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation:
PriviledgedActionException as:hadoop (auth:SIMPLE)
cause:org.apache.hadoop.ipc.StandbyException: Operation category
JOURNAL is not supported in state standby
2013-08-30 00:49:16,074 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: IPC Server
handler 1 on 8020, call
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.protocol.NamenodeProtocol.rollEditLog
from 192.168.126.31:48266: error:
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.StandbyException: Operation category JOURNAL is
not supported in state standby
2013-08-30 00:49:32,391 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.EditLogTailer: Triggering
log roll on remote NameNode clone2:8020
2013-08-30 00:49:32,403 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.EditLogTailer: Unable to
trigger a roll of the active NN
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException(org.apache.hadoop.ipc.StandbyException):
Operation category JOURNAL is not supported in state standby
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.StandbyState.checkOperation(StandbyState.java:87)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode$NameNodeHAContext.checkOperation(NameNode.java:1411)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.checkOperation(FSNamesystem.java:859)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.rollEditLog(FSNamesystem.java:4445)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.rollEditLog(NameNodeRpcServer.java:766)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.NamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.rollEditLog(NamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:139)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.NamenodeProtocolProtos$NamenodeProtocolService$2.callBlockingMethod(NamenodeProtocolProtos.java:8758)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:454)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1741)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1737)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1478)
	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:1735)

	at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:202)
	at $Proxy11.rollEditLog(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.NamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.rollEditLog(NamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.java:139)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.EditLogTailer.triggerActiveLogRoll(EditLogTailer.java:268)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.EditLogTailer.access$600(EditLogTailer.java:61)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.EditLogTailer$EditLogTailerThread.doWork(EditLogTailer.java:310)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.EditLogTailer$EditLogTailerThread.access$200(EditLogTailer.java:279)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.EditLogTailer$EditLogTailerThread$1.run(EditLogTailer.java:296)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.SecurityUtil.doAsLoginUserOrFatal(SecurityUtil.java:456)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.ha.EditLogTailer$EditLogTailerThread.run(EditLogTailer.java:292)

Did I missed something?

Thanks

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by Jitendra Yadav <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Totally agreed with Jing's reply,

I faced the same issue previously, At that time I was doing cluster upgrade.
However I upgraded all the nodes but in one of my node hdfs bin pointing
to previous version, So I changed the PATH and it works fine for me.

Thanks

Posted by Jitendra Yadav <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jitendra Yadav <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jitendra Yadav <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by Jing Zhao <ji...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Thanks  Harsh,

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Thanks  Harsh,

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Thanks  Harsh,

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Thanks  Harsh,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: 答复: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Many thanks to everyone.

Now issue got resolve after changing client version.

Regards

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by orahad bigdata <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Francis.Hu" <fr...@reachjunction.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

答复: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by "Francis.Hu" <fr...@reachjunction.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hello,

This WARN log is unnecessary as such a state is expected and this has
been reported at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-3918.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hello,

--
Harsh J

答复: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by "Francis.Hu" <fr...@reachjunction.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hello,

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hello,

--
Harsh J

答复: Hadoop HA error "JOURNAL is not supported in state standby"

Posted by "Francis.Hu" <fr...@reachjunction.com>.