Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by "Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu)" <je...@cisco.com> on 2014/11/04 23:18:03 UTC

Stratos Rest APIs that send empty response in 4.1

Hi,

We noticed the Rest APIs listed below send empty responses.   In 4.0, they used to have responses in JSON format.   Could someone please confirm if this is the expected behavior?   If it is, please update documentation for these APIs on the doc wiki as they still refer to the 4.0 responses.

I remember there was some discussion about REST API redesign in 4.1.  Is there a wiki that document the API changes?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.1.0+Adding+a+Tenant+via+REST+API

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.1.0+Deploying+a+Partition+via+REST+API

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.1.0+Deploying+an+Auto-scaling+Policy+via+REST+API

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.1.0+Deploying+a+Cartridge+via+REST+API

Thanks,
-Jeffrey

Re: Stratos Rest APIs that send empty response in 4.1

Posted by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>.
In order to prepare the 4.1.0 docs we have duplicated the 4.0.0 docs, so
that the required modifications can be done. Currently, a majority of the
pages in 4.1.0 still depict the 4.0.0 information as the 4.1.0 docs are
work in progress. In addition, Apache does not grant us access to hide
pages in Apache Stratos wiki. Therefore, we have added these pages in the
future releases section until the documentation in complete and the release
is finalized. Sorry for any confusion caused!

Regards,
Mariangela

*--*
Mariangela Hills
Senior Technical Writer

*WSO2, Inc.*lean.enterprise.middleware.
w: http://wso2.com
<http://wso2.com/events/>

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi,

API versioning is not yet implemented yet. So will introduce new API
@Imesh may be able to provide a better answer here.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 11:42 PM, Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu) <
jeffrngu@cisco.com> wrote:

>  Thanks Udara for confirming.  Can you let us know if us know if you're
> going to restore the old behavior and introduce new API or you're going to
> keep the new behavior?
>
>  Thanks,
> -Jeffrey
>

>   From: Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>
> Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:57 PM
> To: dev <de...@stratos.apache.org>
> Cc: jeffrngu <je...@cisco.com>, Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>
> Subject: Re: Stratos Rest APIs that send empty response in 4.1
>
>   IMO we should not change the REST API of a released version unlesss it
> is unavoidable. We need to introduce a new version of the API for the new
> release and do the modifications there. The old API versions we can
> deprecate and remove after certain releases/time.
>
>  I will introduce API version handling logic and will check the
> possibility of preserving the 4.0 API.
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>
>> Yes I changed the REST API response format. There is a mailing thread to
>> discuss this also.
>> Response text is empty for most success POST API invocations. But HTTP
>> status code is sent as 200/201/204 depending on the scenario. Additionally
>> location header will contain the Url of the created resource.
>>
>> Yes we need to document this. Will update the docs.
>>

>>  Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.
>>

>  --
>  Imesh Gunaratne
>
> Technical Lead, WSO2

Udara Liyanage
Software Engineer
WSO2, Inc.: http://wso2.com
lean. enterprise. middleware

web: http://udaraliyanage.wordpress.com
phone: +94 71 443 6897

Re: Stratos Rest APIs that send empty response in 4.1

Posted by "Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu)" <je...@cisco.com>.
Thank you Imesh!

-Jeffrey

From: Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>>
Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 6:59 PM
To: dev <de...@stratos.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Stratos Rest APIs that send empty response in 4.1

Hi Jeffery,

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 11:42 PM, Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu) <je...@cisco.com>> wrote:

Thanks Udara for confirming.  Can you let us know if us know if you're going to restore the old behavior and introduce new API or you're going to keep the new behavior?

I'm now working on introducing API versionning and looking into the possibility of preserving the API released in 4.0.0. Will get back to you with this soon.

Thanks

Re: Stratos Rest APIs that send empty response in 4.1

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeffery,

Posted by "Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu)" <je...@cisco.com>.

From: Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>>
Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:57 PM
To: dev <de...@stratos.apache.org>>
Cc: jeffrngu <je...@cisco.com>>, Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>>

[...]

Committer & PMC Member, Apache Stratos

Re: Stratos Rest APIs that send empty response in 4.1

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
API versioning was discussed here in this thread:  Versioning Stratos REST
API

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> IMO we should not change the REST API of a released version unlesss it is
> unavoidable. We need to introduce a new version of the API for the new
> release and do the modifications there. The old API versions we can
> deprecate and remove after certain releases/time.
>
> I will introduce API version handling logic and will check the possibility
> of preserving the 4.0 API.
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeffrey,
>>
>> Yes I changed the REST API response format. There is a mailing thread to
>> discuss this also.
>> Response text is empty for most success POST API invocations. But HTTP
>> status code is sent as 200/201/204 depending on the scenario. Additionally
>> location header will contain the Url of the created resource.
>>
>> Yes we need to document this. Will update the docs.
>>

>> Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.
>>

> --
> Imesh Gunaratne
>
> Technical Lead, WSO2

Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.
Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.

Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: Stratos Rest APIs that send empty response in 4.1

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu)" <je...@cisco.com>.
Thanks Nirmal.

Hi Udara,
Could you take a look at the APIs listed below and let me know if they're supposed to send empty response?

Thanks,
-Jeffrey

From: Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:29 PM
To: dev <de...@stratos.apache.org>>, Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>>
Cc: Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>>

[Looping in Mari too]

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu) <je...@cisco.com>> wrote:
Hi,

We noticed the Rest APIs listed below send empty responses.   In 4.0, they used to have responses in JSON format.   Could someone please confirm if this is the expected behavior?   If it is, please update documentation for these APIs on the doc wiki as they still refer to the 4.0 responses.

I remember there was some discussion about REST API redesign in 4.1.

That didn't happen yet. But this is probably after the REST API work carried out by Udara.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
[Looping in Mari too]

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeffrey,