Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/01/30 22:07:43 UTC

Board report dueFwd: Questions for projects

Your board reports are due, Jukka on the IPMC has had a look through
the last reports and has a few items he feels need to be addressed in
this months reports for your project - see below

If you've not already drafted your report you need to do so *now* - if
your report does not cover the questions asked of your project below
then time to edit it.

If you have written a report I intend to review them soon, so please
be sure to have them in the wiki ASAP

Ross

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Signed off - thanks

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <me...@farewellutopia.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org>.
Thanks for clarification, Ross.

I enhanced the entry with a reference to Domeo and the the suggestions
regarding the community development entry.

Does anyone else have a suggestion or information we could add?

Daniel

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Daniel Spicar <da...@trialox.org>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ross,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
nice one, perhaps it may be of interest that Clerezza is currently being
used by the Domeo framework [1][2].

Tommaso

[1] : http://annotationframework.org/
[2] : http://www.slideshare.net/teofili/domeo-text-mining-uima-and-clerezza/

Posted by Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
signed off - thanks

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 01/31/2012 03:07 PM, Scott Wilson wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2012, at 08:29, Ate Douma wrote:
>
>> On 01/30/2012 11:23 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> One suggested change below... otherwise it's a good report and I'm
>>> happy to sign it off.
>>
>> I also like the report, with something as the suggested change from Ross below as improvement as well.
>>
>> If you can give a heads-up when it is added to the wiki, I'll sign it off as well.
>>
>> Ate
>
> Thanks Ate,
>
> I've made the change that Ross suggested, and posted the report on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/February2012

Thanks Scott. I've signed off as well.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
Wow, that came around quickly.

OK, here's a draft - its a lot wordier than usual as there has been some specific questions raised on the incubator general list about how to get projects graduating.

I don't want this report to sound at all "defensive" on this topic but rather to encourage more ASF folks to pitch in and help us out and give us some good ideas and suggestions -  so if anyone can suggest a better form of words, please do!

========

Wookie

Wookie is a Java server application that allows you to upload and deploy widgets for your applications. Wookie is based on the W3C Widgets specification, but widgets can also be included that use extended APIs such as Google Wave Gadgets and OpenSocial.

Wookie has been incubating since 17th July 2009

Wookie has a small but quite active community, and the main issue we would like to address before graduation is to ensure we have more diversity in our community. As it stands we could probably graduate as we meet the minimum criteria (5 committers from 3 organisation), but we feel we need at least one more active committer before we feel we're ready to graduate.

One strategy for this is to reach out to projects and teams already using Wookie and encourage their developers to contribute back to the community. We know several projects (both in commercial and academic sectors) that have been conducting R&D activity using Wookie and we want to make sure we can bring in both contributions from these projects and also welcome their developers into our community.

However we feel that Wookie will only really become fully sustainable when there is more uptake of the W3C Widgets/Native Web Applications specifications into "real" systems and products. On this front we're active and visible in W3C, along with PhoneGap/Apache Cordova (incubating) who also support W3C Widgets (the W3C Native Web Apps Community have a co-chair who is a Wookie committer and another who is a Cordova committer). Another strategy has been to support integration in Apache Rave (currently preparing to graduate) as this is a way to build our user base (and is also a great way to demo Wookie). Another approach we're looking at is how we can use Wookie to deploy widgets that relate to ASF processes and activities as a way of raising awareness and interest; we've done some experiments with Widgets using the Jira API as a starting point for a demonstrator.

In any case, we can certainly do more to promote Wookie and generate interest.

Since November 2011:
    * 0.9.1 release
    * Received updated patch for oAuth support from community member
    * Received documentation contribution for packaging Wookie as a portable app on a USB stick

Next steps:
    * 0.9.2 release using an improved and simplified release process
    * Developer outreach activity (see above)
    * Improve communication about Wookie
    * ASF Widgets demo

Issues before graduation:
    * build community/expand user base

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 01/31/2012 06:34 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've drafted a report. Please contribute to the report and add in anything
> that you think I've missed.

Looks good, thanks Chris!
I've added my sign off as mentor as well.

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.

Thanks, Ross, Chris and Ate--Suresh is out recruiting new contributors at Iowa State.  I don't have any additions.

Marlon

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
On Jan 31, 2012, at 6:14 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> No worries Suresh - nobody is expected to act instantly around here,
> we are all volunteers. I might be grumpy sometimes but I (try to)
> never forget that :-)

You were not grumpy (may be as such you are, but certainly not on this topic :-)). We need mentors to remind us the importance of certain tasks while we continue to learn the apache way. Agreed on the volunteer time but reports are important ones to demand attention. Your concern of polling members not matching mentor enthusiasm is very valid and these are constructive remarks to boost our participation and be more pro-active.

Suresh

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thanks Ross, appreciate it.

And FTR, I'm not concerned that a mentor wrote the report :)
Sometimes it happens and people like me are more interested
in writing reports than code (as of late). I feel it's at least a way
I can contribute if I'm not hacking away at the source so really
no problem on my end.

Cheers everyone!

Chris

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.