Posted to user@struts.apache.org by wb...@Ensign-BickfordInd.com on 2002/08/02 15:29:38 UTC

Ruminations for a friday

When I was young my favorite toy was Legos.  This was long ago before
they became what they are today.  Back then they were just plain
legos...  little blocks of different shapes and sizes that interlocked
nicely.

(This does have to do with struts... Be patient my friend)

When I started getting them recently for my daughter I noticed that no
longer were they just that, they had been themed and horrendious new
parts introduced.  Now they have these little preassembled parts like
entire window frames, door ways, little blocks with multiple wheels
attached.  It took a lot away from it.  Now instead of having the
freedom to make whatever you wanted you were forced to work with these
new parts.

I tend to think of the progression of some framework projects this way.
Right now I think struts is like the old legos I used to have...  Many
little parts that could fit together an infinate number of ways.  You
have freedom to stick it together the best way for your purpose, while
not forcing you to mold the parts yourself.  Sometimes I see postings
that sound alot like it would start to turn Struts into the "new" Legos.
 I fear for the Struts of tomorrow, although it seems like it has good
guidance now.

I worked with Expresso a little while ago before returning to struts...
That is a lot like the new Legos... Sure you can build a little car with
both, but with that one you need to use the entire car frame provided
and not make your own.  I am not saying its a bad thing, just different.

http://www.legodeath.com/
(Sick, yet amusing link)