Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Sergiu Gordea <gs...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at> on 2004/07/22 16:48:53 UTC

rebuild index

 Hi all,

 I have a question related to reindexing of documents with lucene.
We want to implement the functinality of rebuilding lucene index.
That means I want to delete all documents in the index and to add newer
versions.
All information I need to reindex is kept in the database so that I have
a Term ID, which is unique.

My problem is that I don't have a deleteall() method in IndexReader, and
I don't have undelete(int) and undelete(Term)
methods. I have only delete(Term) and  undeleteAll() methods that can be
used for this action.

I would like to delete all documents (just mark as deleted). Add the new
documents o the index and create a list of documents that were not
succesfully indexed,
(from different reasons, that may depend on lucene or on our code). At
the end I would like to restore (mark as undeleted) the documents in the
list and to optimize the
index, so that the changes to be permanetly commited in the index.

 Is this possible witout hacking lucene code? Any Ideas?

 Thanks in advance,

 Sergiu

Re: rebuild index

Posted by Sergiu Gordea <gs...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>.
Because on the other hand I want to have a clean index, without any kind
of garbage.

This is the requested funtionality of the rebuild index function.
Clean Index and don't loose data.

I was also thinking that I can delete the index location and create a
new index, this may have the same effect as the missing
deleteAll() method. But in this case I loose all the data from index
forever, and If  I get a error because of write lock,
I may have no index at all. Which is inacceptable for a productve system.

Anyway, thanks for ideea, It may work if I merge the indexes in my code,
but I don't fill that this is the right way to solve the problem.

 Sergiu

RE: rebuild index