Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by "Danner, Russ" <Da...@csps.com> on 2006/04/13 04:54:15 UTC

JCR workspace usage

Let's suppose I am using JCR to manage documents

If I am supporting multiple publications is it advisable to put them all in
the same workspace or in separate work spaces?

If I want to relate documents from different publications, is it no true
that I must put them in the same workspace? The JCR spec is strange in that
it is unclear how nodes in different workspaces work together (it reads a
little bit like alternate universes).

On page 35 of the spec issue last year it gives an example where two
different workspaces have nodes with the same UUID -- but not the same node?

What if I update one of the nodes?  Is the change represented by the other
node with the same UUID in the other workspace? Sorry I'm out to lunch on
this.

__________________________________
R U S S   D A N N E R
Architect
Technology Services Group
Christian Science Monitor
Christian Science Publishing Society

[v] 617.450.3086 [f] 877.408.8154
[e]  <ma...@csps.com> dannerr@csps.com [b]
<http://www.thecxoreview.com/> http://www.thecxoreview.com/

The First Church of Christ, Scientist
One Norway Street | Mailstop: C01-20
Boston, MA 02115-3195

Re: JCR workspace usage

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Danner, Russ wrote:
> If I am supporting multiple publications is it advisable to put them all in
> the same workspace or in separate work spaces?

this depends what you intend to do with those publications and what
requirements you have. certain features are not cross-workspace. e.g.
references are only possible between nodes of the same workspace.
executing a query will always be targeted to a single workspace.

> If I want to relate documents from different publications, is it no true
> that I must put them in the same workspace? The JCR spec is strange in that
> it is unclear how nodes in different workspaces work together (it reads a
> little bit like alternate universes).

you can look at workspaces as local checkouts of a revision control
system. those checkouts are not all the same. one may only contain a
subset of the items that are under revision control, another may contain
revisions of items that are tagged to a certain milestone. and then you
may see items in a checkout that are not even under version control. all
of this also applies to JCR workspaces.

> On page 35 of the spec issue last year it gives an example where two
> different workspaces have nodes with the same UUID -- but not the same node?

different workspace may checkout different version of the 'same node'.
thus the content of the nodes are different, but they belong to the same
version history.

> What if I update one of the nodes?  Is the change represented by the other
> node with the same UUID in the other workspace? Sorry I'm out to lunch on
> this.

no, changes to nodes are strictly workspace local. to get the changes
into another workspace you either have to:

- clone the node across workspaces
or
- check in the changes and then update the node in the other workspace
to the just checked in version.

regards
  marcel