Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com> on 2008/06/05 08:37:48 UTC

Title not being read from the gadget xml

Re: Title not being read from the gadget xml

Posted by Tim Thelin <tt...@google.com>.
At this point if I were in your position, I'd start putting in print
statements to trace through the code to find out the point of failure.
Since it's an embedded device, hopefully you have a writable file system /
ram drive / tmp area that you can log to...

I'm not that familiar with Tomcat, so I wouldn't know about any explicit
issues it might have in this regard.

-Tim

Posted by Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com>.

Tim Thelin wrote:
| Normally when the gadget server gives you an error as the http
response, it
| dumps a stack trace in the terminal where it's running.  That stack trace
| would be useful for figuring this out.
|
| -Tim
|
| On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com> wrote:
|

| Thanks Tim.
|
| I tried the approach you mentioned since both my container and the
| gadget server are from the same origin, however the post fails with a
| 500 error. The message I get is "Unable to write JSON".
|
| I can't run the example either. It fails with the same error.
|
| Am I missing something?
|
| Tyrell
|

| Tim Thelin wrote:
| | The gadget server is what has the direct access to fields like title
(the
| | metadata), but the gadget server does not make your gadget's chrome (the
| | outer parts like the title bar, settings button, etc).  So when your
| | container starts making the chrome around a gadget, it needs to
| contact the
| | gadget server to get the metadata from it.   This can either be done
| | directly (XMLHttpRequest) or indirectly (your webserver does the http
| | request, passing back the results to your page).
| |
| | javascript/container/sample-metadata.html is an example of doing it
| directly
| | using XMLHttpRequest, but it only works if the gadget server is on the
| same
| | origin as the container.
| |
| | More likely (like in my case) you'll have to do this request indirectly
| by
| | having your webserver make the http request to the gadget server.
| Once your
| | webserver receives the json metadata response, it passes it to the
| container
| | javascript for use.
| |
| | -Tim
| |
| |
| | On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:37 PM, Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com> wrote:
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | I'm writing a dashboard page using the Shindig samples as a guideline
| | and noticed that the 'Title' attribute defined in a gadget xml is not
| | read (at least in the sample container pages).
| |
| | Is there a way to get the value given in the title attribute to be
| | displayed in the UI widgets title?
| |
| | thanks,
| | Tyrell
| |
| |

- --

Posted by Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com>.

Tim Thelin wrote:
| Normally when the gadget server gives you an error as the http
response, it
| dumps a stack trace in the terminal where it's running.  That stack trace
| would be useful for figuring this out.
|
| -Tim
|
| On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com> wrote:
|

| Thanks Tim.
|
| I tried the approach you mentioned since both my container and the
| gadget server are from the same origin, however the post fails with a
| 500 error. The message I get is "Unable to write JSON".
|
| I can't run the example either. It fails with the same error.
|
| Am I missing something?
|
| Tyrell
|

| Tim Thelin wrote:
| | The gadget server is what has the direct access to fields like title
(the
| | metadata), but the gadget server does not make your gadget's chrome (the
| | outer parts like the title bar, settings button, etc).  So when your
| | container starts making the chrome around a gadget, it needs to
| contact the
| | gadget server to get the metadata from it.   This can either be done
| | directly (XMLHttpRequest) or indirectly (your webserver does the http
| | request, passing back the results to your page).
| |
| | javascript/container/sample-metadata.html is an example of doing it
| directly
| | using XMLHttpRequest, but it only works if the gadget server is on the
| same
| | origin as the container.
| |
| | More likely (like in my case) you'll have to do this request indirectly
| by
| | having your webserver make the http request to the gadget server.
| Once your
| | webserver receives the json metadata response, it passes it to the
| container
| | javascript for use.
| |
| | -Tim
| |
| |
| | On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:37 PM, Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com> wrote:
| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | I'm writing a dashboard page using the Shindig samples as a guideline
| | and noticed that the 'Title' attribute defined in a gadget xml is not
| | read (at least in the sample container pages).
| |
| | Is there a way to get the value given in the title attribute to be
| | displayed in the UI widgets title?
| |
| | thanks,
| | Tyrell
| |
| |

- --

Posted by Tim Thelin <tt...@google.com>.

Posted by Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com>.

Tim Thelin wrote:
| The gadget server is what has the direct access to fields like title (the
| metadata), but the gadget server does not make your gadget's chrome (the
| outer parts like the title bar, settings button, etc).  So when your
| container starts making the chrome around a gadget, it needs to
contact the
| gadget server to get the metadata from it.   This can either be done
| directly (XMLHttpRequest) or indirectly (your webserver does the http
| request, passing back the results to your page).
|
| javascript/container/sample-metadata.html is an example of doing it
directly
| using XMLHttpRequest, but it only works if the gadget server is on the
same
| origin as the container.
|
| More likely (like in my case) you'll have to do this request indirectly by
| having your webserver make the http request to the gadget server.
Once your
| webserver receives the json metadata response, it passes it to the
container
| javascript for use.
|
| -Tim
|

| On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:37 PM, Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com> wrote:
|
| Hi,
|
| I'm writing a dashboard page using the Shindig samples as a guideline
| and noticed that the 'Title' attribute defined in a gadget xml is not
| read (at least in the sample container pages).
|
| Is there a way to get the value given in the title attribute to be
| displayed in the UI widgets title?
|
| thanks,
| Tyrell

- --