Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by "Tite, Leila" <Le...@state.mn.us> on 2004/09/30 17:01:39 UTC

toc level for html & pdf

Hello,

I'm using forrest 0.6 rev 47499. I've got some docbook articles
containing use cases. I want only the titles of the use cases listed in
the generated table of contents. In the html generated table of contents
(with toc max-depth=2) it prints:

 article title

    section title

      section title <--use case titles are at this level

        section title

This looks like 3 levels of toc to me. I changed toc max-depth to 1 and
the html toc prints to the correct level, but then the use case titles
are not included in the generated pdf toc. I can get them to print
correctly by modifying document2fo.xsl, but it seems strange to me that
skinconf.xml uses the same property toc max-depth for both html and pdf
but they don't get interpreted the same way.

What is the best way for me to handle this? Should I treat it as a local
document2fo.xsl stylesheet? It seems like the problem is with the
document2html.xsl, but I didn't understand that well enough to know
where to make the change.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Leila

Re: toc level for html & pdf

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
Tite, Leila wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m using forrest 0.6 rev 47499. I’ve got some docbook articles
> containing use cases. I want only the titles of the use cases listed in
> the generated table of contents. In the html generated table of contents
>  (with toc max-depth=2) it prints:
>
>  article title
>
>     section title
>
>       section title ßuse case titles are at this level
>
>         section title
>

> This looks like 3 levels of toc to me. I changed toc max-depth to 1 and
> the html toc prints to the correct level, but then the use case titles
> are not included in the generated pdf toc. I can get them to print
> correctly by modifying document2fo.xsl, but it seems strange to me that
> skinconf.xml uses the same property toc max-depth for both html and pdf
> but they don’t get interpreted the same way.
>

> What is the best way for me to handle this? Should I treat it as a local
> document2fo.xsl stylesheet? It seems like the problem is with the
> document2html.xsl, but I didn’t understand that well enough to know
> where to make the change.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Leila

I believe this is due to aggregation which
adds one level of hierarchy. Is the effect
the same for wholesite.html?
Johannes

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de

Attraktivität von interaktiven Produkten messen mit
www.attrakdiff.de

Re: more verbosity in forrest validate

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > is it possible for "forrest validate" to output some more verbose
> > explanations about what went wrong ?
>
> The goal of "forrest validate" is just to make sure that the input is
> good enough for forrest to process.  You should use a DTD validator when
> editing XML files; it will provide much better error messages an often
> have useful interfaces to help you build the document.  See
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/catalog.html for instructions on setting
> up editors to use the Forrest DTD catalog.

Yes, i use the command-line 'xmllint' from the
libxml2 package. It has reasonable error messages.

However, the normal 'forrest validate' should give you
better error messages that just "Could not validate document".
So there must be something seriously wrong with your
xml files.

Anyway, doing 'forrest -v validate' provides more
verbose output.

--
David Crossley

Re: more verbosity in forrest validate

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming
http://csx.calvin.edu : student org
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

more verbosity in forrest validate

Posted by Joao Miguel Ferreira <jm...@estg.ipvc.pt>.
Hello all,

is it possible for "forrest validate" to output some more verbose
explanations about what went wrong ?

thanks

jmf