Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stuart Morse <st...@excelsystems.com> on 2003/04/07 20:20:43 UTC

ROOT Web Application difficulties

Hi All,

I just upgraded from Tomcat 3.2 to 4.1.24. Under 3.2 I could just drop a
class file in the ROOT web application's "classes" directory, and it was
immediately accessible without further configuration. This does not seem to
be the case under 4.1.24.

Can someone please verify that I am correct in the assumption above? Do I
really have to manually edit the web.xml file for the ROOT application for
every servlet that I want to deploy to the that webapp?

Regards,

Stuart Morse

Re: ROOT Web Application difficulties

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html

John

Re: Block Displaying Directory of JSP

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Tim Funk wrote:

> I wanted to make sure anyone reading this thread did not start to add
> their own servlet declarations and mappings to conf/web.xml instead of
> WEB-INF/web.xml. While someone can add their mappings to conf/web.xml,
> doing  so will eventually result in something kludgy that supporting
> will be tricky because everyone else expects mapping to be declared in
> WEB-INF/web.xml.

Thank you for posting this.

Erik

Re: Block Displaying Directory of JSP

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Yes, sorry I have been vague in this thread. My intention was to emphasize
that one should "ignore" conf/web.xml or make every attempt to not change it.
(Except to alter existing base functionality or remove functionality).
Relying on conf/web.xml will result in a non-portable webapp since other
application servers do not use 2 web.xml's. Some use properties files, others
nothing at all where everything needs declared in your WEB-INF/web.xml, and
others probably have another mechanism.

I wanted to make sure anyone reading this thread did not start to add their
own servlet declarations and mappings to conf/web.xml instead of
WEB-INF/web.xml. While someone can add their mappings to conf/web.xml, doing
  so will eventually result in something kludgy that supporting will be
tricky because everyone else expects mapping to be declared in WEB-INF/web.xml.

-Tim

Posted by "David L. Wasler" <dw...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Erike:

I had to stop and restart Tomcat for it to work.

Thank You
David L. Wasler

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Posted by "David L. Wasler" <dw...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Tim:

I tried to set it in my myapp/WEB-INF/web.xml, no
luck, so I had end up editing
$Tomcat_home/conf/web.xml

Thank You
DLWasler

--- Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org> wrote:
> $Tomcat_home/conf is used by all webapps - This is
> most convenient for:
> - static mime mappings
> - declaration of the jsp engine
> - other container specific things
>
> $Tomcat_home/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/web.xml is the
> webapp most of us know love
> and should configure. I'd stay away from
> $Tomcat_home/conf/web.xml unless you
> need to change it.
>
> -Tim
>
> David L. Wasler wrote:
> > Hi Salina:
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Question, what is the difference between web.xml
> in
> > $Tomcat_home/conf and
> > $Tomcat_home/webapps/webdav/WEB-INF/web.xml?
> >
> > Cheers and Thank you very much.
> >
> > DLWasler
> >
> > --- Salina Cheung <sa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>change the listings parameter to be "false" in
> >>tomcathome\conf\web.xml

> >><param-name>listings</param-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.WebdavServlet</servlet-class>

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by "David L. Wasler" <dw...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Salina:

Posted by Salina Cheung <sa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "David L. Wasler" <dw...@yahoo.com>.
Hi All:

Posted by "David L. Wasler" <dw...@yahoo.com>.
Hi All:

Posted by "David L. Wasler" <dw...@yahoo.com>.
Hi All:

Posted by Stuart Morse <st...@excelsystems.com>.
Hi John,

Could you please direct me to the Application Developer's Guide?

Regards,

Stuart

        <filter-name>Path Mapped Filter</filter-name>
	<url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

Do you have the right directory structure?  Are your servlets in the
correct location?  Have you consulted the Application Developer's Guide?  I

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
There's also this:

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
You are correct.