Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by "Vanderdray, Jacob" <JV...@aarp.org> on 2006/03/08 15:29:46 UTC

Tutorial

	This is in response to Piotr's comment to my JIRA entry
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-225).  I haven't been
subscribed to this list, so I'm afraid I missed the discussion about the
tutorial that went on here.

	After getting Piotr's comment I went to the archive and read the
earlier thread about the tutorial.  Here's what I understand:

* The tutorial necessarily differs between the 0.7 and the 0.8 branches
and this needs to be reflected on the web site by having both tutorials
up there.

* Some users have requested that the tutorial be moved to the wiki so
that it can be more easily edited and updated.  In recognition of this I
went ahead and added it to the wiki and made some edits based on input
from people who were confused about the use of "Intranet Crawl" as a
label.  I now realize this needs to be edited some more to indicate that
it is the tutorial for the 0.7 branch.  I'll do that in a bit.

* Piotr wants the existing tutorials (both the one for 0.7 and the one
for 0.8) on the web site as simple versions while copies get put on the
wiki and become more advanced versions.

	In an effort to clear things up and move ahead, can we just do a
quick vote on the last point?  I'd propose moving both tutorials to the
wiki and updating the links on the site to reflect that.  I don't think
keeping two copies of each tutorial up to date is going to be
manageable.  I suspect that one is going to go stale and having multiple
copies (even if one is shorter than the other) is just going to confuse
users.

Thanks,
Jake.

Re: Tutorial

Posted by Jérôme Charron <je...@gmail.com>.
> My motivation is to have usable version of tutorial - as simple as it is
> possible to be versioned with the sources - only for historical purposes
> - if somebody wants to use nutch 0.7 a year from now he will be able to
> find a tutorial for it without problems.

+1

But for more advanced stuff I
> fully support Wiki. I will wait for other committers opinions before
> doing anything.

Perhaps the current dev version related tutorial should be on the Wiki (it
is a live document).
Then, once the 0.8 will be released, the wiki tutorial will be copied in svn
and tagged.
Here is my vision:
* Tutorial for released versions should be in svn
* Tutorial for current version should be in Wiki.

Jérôme

--
http://motrech.free.fr/
http://www.frutch.org/

Re: Tutorial

Posted by Piotr Kosiorowski <pk...@gmail.com>.
Upps, sorry for ignoring this discussion - i was looking for comments in
JIRA and already committed the change before reading your discussion.
My motivation is to have usable version of tutorial - as simple as it is
possible to be versioned with the sources - only for historical purposes
- if somebody wants to use nutch 0.7 a year from now he will be able to
find a tutorial for it without problems. But for more advanced stuff I

Re: Tutorial

Posted by Jeff Ritchie <jr...@netwurklabs.com>.
+1

RE: Tutorial