Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by murali mohan <mu...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/28 13:21:08 UTC

Problems with Continuum making it useless

Warning. This is a rant.

-> Parallel builds in Continuum is an embarrassment. Reasons:

   1. Different builds from the same project cannot be queued if one of
   them is already running. Why is this? It is not even the same build, it is
   a separate buildsbut belonging to the same project. This is a block since
   we are forced to time the scheduling perfectly so that the second build
   starts only after first build is done. Why?! Or we need to have separate
   project groups. Then why do we need projects?!
   2. Shell builds are not running in parallel in version 1.3.6 (Don't know
   about other versions). Even after enabling parallel builds and queues and
   when maven builds run in parallel without any problem.

It has become a very clever and unknown science now to run all the builds
in parallel in continuum and to ensure that everything completes.

-> There are thousand of builds and their history in our continuum setup. I
have set up purge configurations, but still the UI lists thousands and
takes a long time to load.

-> For both the above, I have sent emails to support. One is recent, so
lets leave that, The deletion of builds - no help to complete it. Some
vague suggestions which never worked when I tried. There is some XML RPC
tool to delete these old builds. I did spend a couple of days to run it, it
doesn't!

-> Yes, this is open source and we all should contribute. But I am someone
who has submitted patches before and willing to spend some time. But there
seems to be no people who are running this or being responsible.

-> All in all, I have spent a lot of time on this software from the time
when it had very minimal features. Sadly, I think it is a waste of time now
adjusting schedules and making it "somehow" run.

-Murali.

Re: Problems with Continuum making it useless

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.
I have continuum installed at several clients - one of whom runs over 100
java projects and 20 Oracle Forms projects with it.  We have upgraded to
the 1.4.x release and have had nothing but success with it - so count me
and my clients as "interested".

Louis

--
Dr. Louis Smith, ThD
Chief Technology Officer, Kyra InfoTech

Re: Problems with Continuum making it useless

Posted by murali mohan <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brent Atkinson <ba...@apache.org>.
Hi Murali,