Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com> on 2005/07/16 15:40:24 UTC

stdcxx open for business

Hello stdcxx committers,

Welcome to the stdcxx project, currently under incubation within the
Apache Incubator.  You are responsible for maintaining a status
file at

   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stdcxx.html

If you don't have one yet, your first task MUST be to create one
using some other project as a guide (I suggest using jackrabbit).
See the instructions below for editing the incubator site.

Hopefully, you have already received information about your new account
on svn.apache.org and instructions on how to login.  You should use
one of the many ssh clients to login and change both your account
password, using the passwd command, and your subversion password
using the svnpasswd command (we recommend using different passwords).

Many developers also place their public

   ssh keys in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
   pgp/gpg key in ~/.pgpkey
   pgp/gpg key fingerprint summary in ~/.pubkey

Version Control
===============

After setting up your account, I suggest that you either switch your
existing copy of the stdcxx source code to writable via

   svn switch https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stdcxx/trunk

or check out a new copy of the source so that the write access is
enabled
(note the https scheme below):

   svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stdcxx/trunk \
          stdcxx

More committer and subversion info can be found at

   http://www.apache.org/dev/
   http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html

   http://subversion.tigris.org/
   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/apa.html  (quick guide for cvs
users)

BEFORE COMMITTING anything using subversion, please set up your
local configuration so that it adds native eol properties to the
common text files.  Instructions can be found at

   http://www.sipfoundry.org/tools/svn-tips.html#line-ends
   http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt

Mailing Lists
what goes in (or out) of the stdcxx code get made:

    stdcxx-dev at incubator.apache.org

Archives of the dev list can be found at

    http://incubator.apache.org/mail/stdcxx-dev/
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-stdcxx-dev/

As a committer, you should also subscribe to the automated change
notices that will be sent to

    stdcxx-commits at incubator.apache.org

If you are interested in general incubator discussion, like how
our status is reported to the rest of Apache, you can subscribe
to the "general at incubator.apache.org" mailing list.  The role
of the incubator is to make sure that new projects complete all
of the right paperwork needed to transfer intellectual property
(we have done that) and ensure that the project is progressing
as a true collaboration in accordance with the Apache development
guidelines, sometimes referred to as "the Apache way."  For various
reasons, we are unlikely to exit incubation until after the initial
JCR specification is complete and made available for independent
implementation.

Editing the site: <http://incubator.apache.org/stdcxx/>
================

This has not been set up yet because you have no files.  However,
eventually you should do something like

   svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stdcxx/site \
          stdcxx-site

The actual website should be a checked-out copy on www.apache.org.
It can be updated manually only by those people with an account
on www.apache.org.

Editing incubator: <http://incubator.apache.org/>
=================

Information on how to make incubator site changes can be found at

   http://incubator.apache.org/howtoparticipate.html

The incubator site uses Forrest, not Maven; most people just edit the
content under site-author and let someone else generate the real site.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding                            <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Chief Scientist, Day Software              <http://www.day.com/>

Re: stdcxx open for business

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Hello stdcxx committers,
>
> Welcome to the stdcxx project, currently under incubation within the
> Apache Incubator.  You are responsible for maintaining a status
> file at
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stdcxx.html
>
> If you don't have one yet, your first task MUST be to create one
> using some other project as a guide (I suggest using jackrabbit).

However, i have been trying to encourage people
not to use cwiki as the source files. They are
fragile and can cause grief.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/pmc.html
has the template for the project status file
and other instructions for new incubating projects.

Today i regenerated the html source od Status reports
for those projects still using the cwiki syntax.
See the note at
http://incubator.apache.org/howtoparticipate.html#Updating+the+site

> See the instructions below for editing the incubator site.

Nice overview Roy. We need a high-level document like that
on the Incubator website. In fact the website could really
use a big overhaul (e.g. CVS is mentioned too much).

-David