Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Konstantyn Smirnov <in...@yahoo.com> on 2008/06/02 17:44:11 UTC

HitCollector and sorting

Hi all

Currently I'm using the search method returning the Hits object. According
to http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveSearchingSpeed one should use a
HitCollector-oriented search method instead.
But I need another aspect of the "Hits search(...)" method: it's sorting
ability.

Now my code looks like :

    def hits = multiSearcher.search( query, Methods.activeFilter, sort )
    def iter = hits.iterator()

    def results = []
    int counter = 0

    for( hit in iter ){
      if( range.contains( counter ) && hit.document ){
        results << Methods.bind( hit.document, lucenizedClasses )
      }else if( counter >= upper ) break
      counter++
    }

So, how can I get the same results using the HitCollector? Also it would be
really nice, if you could point me to some examples of using it...

Thanx in advance,
Konstantyn

Re: HitCollector and sorting

Posted by Konstantyn Smirnov <in...@yahoo.com>.

hossman wrote:

> Take a look at TopFieldDocCollector  It's a HitCollector provided out of
> the box that does sorting.

will it work against a ParallelMultiSearcher?

Re: HitCollector and sorting

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: So, how can I get the same results using the HitCollector? Also it would be
: really nice, if you could point me to some examples of using it...

Take a look at TopFieldDocCollector  It's a HitCollector provided out of
the box that does sorting.

If you look at the trunk, the (recently updateed) "demo" file
SearchFiles.java shows how to use TopDocCollector ... TopFieldDocCollector
works exactly the same way, except that it knows about Sorting.

-Hoss