Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2011/01/19 18:30:05 UTC

HBase performance metrics gotchas?

Hi,

Are there any gotchas around turning on HBase performance metrics
gathering/publishing (the stuff described on
http://hbase.apache.org/docs/current/metrics.html), such as "if you turn this
on, be prepared to pay N% loss in performance" or some such?

Also, the "file" plugin just logs performance metrics to a log file, is that so?

Thanks,
Otis
P.S.
http://hbase.apache.org/docs/current/metrics.htm may be a bit out of date -
I see additional metrics mentioned on
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Hadoop - HBase

Re: HBase performance metrics gotchas?

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Otis,

Enabling metrics really just amounts to periodically pushing the metrics to
whatever MetricsContext is configured, which is decoupled from other cluster
operations.  So I wouldn't expect any measurable performance impact (I
haven't tried measuring though).

Yes, the FileContext output just writes a separate line of comma-separated
name=value metrics for each metrics record to a local file (path set in the
properties file).

--gh