Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Randy Layman <ra...@aswethink.com> on 2001/10/10 13:44:43 UTC

RE: Performance : Tomcat vs IIS

	Actually I think he raises a somewhat valid point - since both IIS
and Tomcat can do SOAP processing, which is faster?  I think the answer is
most likely that IIS is faster - the SOAP engine is more tightly coupled
with the web server (using Intra-process communication instead of
inter-process of inter-machine communication).

	I would imagine that the SOAP processing engine is written in C/C++,
which would make it much faster that anything written in Java.  It might,
however, be written in C#, which would make it interpreted and probably
about as fast as Java.

	In short, I believe that IIS would win this, but IIS would tie you
into their operating system (with all of its security, stability, and
management problems).  With Tomcat you would be open to just about any
operating system, including running Linux on the IBM mainframes or Solaris
on their new enterprise server - both of which are orders of magnitude more
powerful (and more expensive) than any system that Microsoft OS can run on.

	Randy