Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by "Xu, Lilu" <li...@cs.helsinki.fi> on 2011/05/18 23:01:39 UTC

Introduce the project of Developing Fluent API / Facade to HttpClient

Dear all,

My name is Lilu and I am a student of University of Helsinki who has been selected to the Develop fluent API / facade to HttpClient Project [1] in Google Summer of Code 2011, mentored by Oleg Kalnichevski. Because this is my first time to participate in an open-source project, I really need your advice and help. Since the project has just started and I do not exactly know how to accomplish this task, it will be greatly appreciated that you would like to share some ideas and suggestions with me.

Best,
Lilu

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1076

Re: Introduce the project of Developing Fluent API / Facade to HttpClient

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Olivier Grisel
<ol...@ensta.org> wrote:
> ...Bertrand will probably better explain his design goals when he started
> this module....

Yes, I'm planning to follow this project as much as possible, on the
httpcomponents list.

-Bertrand

Re: Introduce the project of Developing Fluent API / Facade to HttpClient

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.
2011/5/19 Lilu Xu <co...@gmail.com>:

> On May 19, 2011, at 12:46 AM, Olivier Grisel wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The current code is here:
>>
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/commons/testing/http/
>>
>> You will probably want to fork your own copy outside of the stanbol
>> source tree and get rid of the org.apache.stanbol package name prefix
>> (to be replaced by org.apache.http instead). Maybe you can work in a
>   In this case, should I create some new classes to implement the fluent API or overwrite these existed classes in HttpClient library?

New classes, maybe under a new subpackage name. But really you should
see this with your mentor and the other HttpComponents developers.
This is not related to the Stanbol project.

--
Olivier

Re: Introduce the project of Developing Fluent API / Facade to HttpClient

Posted by Lilu Xu <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.
2011/5/18 Xu, Lilu <li...@cs.helsinki.fi>:
> Dear all,
>
> My name is Lilu and I am a student of University of Helsinki who has been selected to the Develop fluent API / facade to HttpClient Project [1] in Google Summer of Code 2011, mentored by Oleg Kalnichevski. Because this is my first time to participate in an open-source project, I really need your advice and help. Since the project has just started and I do not exactly know how to accomplish this task, it will be greatly appreciated that you would like to share some ideas and suggestions with me.
>
> Best,
> Lilu
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1076

Hi,

The current code is here:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/commons/testing/http/

You will probably want to fork your own copy outside of the stanbol
source tree and get rid of the org.apache.stanbol package name prefix
(to be replaced by org.apache.http instead). Maybe you can work in a
branch of the httpcomponents svn repo. See with your mentor directly
for the organizational details.

Bertrand will probably better explain his design goals when he started
this module.

Also you should review the Jersey client API (for design inspiration
only, as this is not released under an ASL2 compatible license hence
the implementation should not be copied / pasted). This API is quite
similar and might give you some interesting patterns not yet
implemented in Bertrand's prototype.

  http://blogs.oracle.com/sandoz/entry/jersey_client_api

--
Olivier

Re: Introduce the project of Developing Fluent API / Facade to HttpClient

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 11:48 +0300, Xu, Lilu wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> where should I host the project? May I host it on Google Code?

Sure. The choice of a repository is yours. Google code, GitHub or
whatever you are comfortable with.

Oleg

Re: Introduce the project of Developing Fluent API / Facade to HttpClient

Posted by "Xu, Lilu" <li...@cs.helsinki.fi>.
Hi Oleg,

where should I host the project? May I host it on Google Code?

Best regards,
Xu, Lilu

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.