Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by aladdin <al...@csunv.com> on 2006/08/16 02:43:44 UTC

Doesn't Process CSS files

I have an apache-http tomcat configuration set up that works just
fine, with static htm's, jsp's, and servlets, except for one thing.  It
finds all my .htm static content, and, when serving that, uses the
referenced .css style sheets.  However, when it goes to tomcat and
serves .jsp files, it doesn't process them with the .css style sheet.

I thought that the page went to the browser, the browser "sees" the
reference to the .css file, then goes back and requests it to determine
how to render the page.

Is this right?  If so, why doesn't apache give the .css file out of its directory
like it does for the .htm pages?  BTW, I've also tried putting a copy of the
.css file in the same directory as the .jsp pages, to no avail, and, in the .jsp
file, have tried several combinations and permutations of referencing the
.css file using various url's including and not including the webapp directory
name.

Here's the directory structure:

apache's stuff:

/var/www/MyWebSite/                         <- All .htm's and .css's
/var/webapps/MyWebSite/                 <- All .jsp's and .tld's
/var/webapps/MyWebSite/WEB-INF  <- Exactly what you think it is- all servlets and tag libraries

Thanks.
anw

Re: Doesn't Process CSS files

Posted by aladdin <al...@csunv.com>.
Ouch!  I fixed it, after David put me onto typing directly into
the browser (many thanks, David).  I had "style.css" in the link reference,
and as soon as I changed that to "/style.css", it found it.  And, also, now there's
no attempt at mapping in the mod_jk log.

But I still have the question as to why is this the case?  Why would
a file referenced as "file.ext" be mapped to mod_jk, when a file
referenced as "/file.ext" isn't?

Actually, I'm beginning to think I'll never understand how an integrated
apache/tomcat installation resolves its file names.

Re: Doesn't Process CSS files

Posted by aladdin <al...@csunv.com>.

Re: Doesn't Process CSS files

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Re: Doesn't Process CSS files

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
aladdin wrote:
> Thanks!  I'll check out those logs as soon as I get into work,  Meantime,
> what do you mean by "attempt to access them directly"?

Type the url of an css file directly into your browser and see what
the response is. Something like: http://www.apache.org/style/style.css

Mark

Re: Doesn't Process CSS files

Posted by aladdin <al...@csunv.com>.