Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Shapira, Yoav" <Yo...@mpi.com> on 2004/08/30 18:22:57 UTC

When to cut 5.5.0?

Hi,
Last week we spoke about cutting the 5.5.0 release today or tomorrow.
I'm fine with that, preferring tomorrow (Tuesday) to today for personal
reasons.  But what do others think?  Are you in a good place in your
work for a release?

We still have some unresolved questions on packaging, it would appear?
Right now the 5.5.0 build script produces mostly the same distributions
as 5.0.x. That is both .zip and .tar.gz (we've decided to keep this, as
we don't do any special line formatting for either and uses do have
expectations in this area), one main distro and separate ones for
deployer, and embedded.

I also get actual compile errors on JDK 1.5 beta 2 on Windows XP.
They're along the lines of the compiler failing to convert the code into
vararg notation.  I'll look into it a bit more tonight maybe.

Anyways, just posting this to see what people think about release
timing.  The release plan we've officially approved calls for a release
by the end of August IIRC.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.

Re: When to cut 5.5.0?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Hi,
>Last week we spoke about cutting the 5.5.0 release today or tomorrow.
>I'm fine with that, preferring tomorrow (Tuesday) to today for personal
>reasons.  But what do others think?  Are you in a good place in your
>work for a release?

+1 for tomorrow then.

>We still have some unresolved questions on packaging, it would appear?
>Right now the 5.5.0 build script produces mostly the same distributions
>as 5.0.x. That is both .zip and .tar.gz (we've decided to keep this, as
>we don't do any special line formatting for either and uses do have
>expectations in this area), one main distro and separate ones for
>deployer, and embedded.

There are additional packages:
- compat: JARs for JDK 1.4 (Xerces, XML apis and JMX impl)
- admin: the admin webapp (with so many people declaring that they're
not using it, I don't see a reason to keep it in the default download)

The default package should run out of the box on JRE 5.0. We'll need to
update the docs about the new requirements, obviously (but since there
are other places in the docs which need updates, and it will take some
time to adress all of them, it's not very important).

>I also get actual compile errors on JDK 1.5 beta 2 on Windows XP.
>They're along the lines of the compiler failing to convert the code into
>vararg notation.  I'll look into it a bit more tonight maybe.

We're going to use the JDK 1.4 API, so I think you should stick with JDK
1.4 for compiling. I will, personally, since Eclipse Java 5 compiler
isn't working very well at the moment.

Rémy