Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com> on 2006/06/16 16:56:25 UTC

Help Installing on FC4

I'm trying to get Subversion installed on FC4 and something isn't
right.  I'm trying to install 1.3.2 from a tarball following the
minimal instructions (in my case, destructions) in the INSTALL file.
I followed the verbiage to the letter (i.e. no options when running
./configure).

I unpacked the tarball to /tmp so I have /tmp/subversion-1.3.2/*.
Here's what I'm seeing that doesn't seem right:

1.  mod_dav_svn.so wasn't compiled.  I can see the source code in the
tmp directory, but no shared object file.
2.  There is no other subversion directory that I can see.  Does
configure compile the code in the directory to which the tarball was
unpacked?  I noticed no mention of this in the INSTALL file so I guess
it was expecting it to behave a bit more like the apache configure.
That is, ask me where I want it to be installed and default to
/usr/local/, maybe.

Clearly I'm in need of some remedial installation help.  Can anyone
help me understand where I missed the boat?

Thanks.

--

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Help Installing on FC4

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.

On 6/16/06, Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> wrote:
> Rob Wilkerson wrote:
> > Thanks, Kris.  I finally figured out the httpd-devel need and got it
> > installed.  I'm now attempting to reinstall subversion.  I'll follow
> > up with the results.  Any idea when mod_dav_svn.so should get created?
> > It didn't exists after running ./configure.  Haven't completed a next
> > step yet, but I thought I'd ask just to see whether I was on the right
> > track.
>
> Most *nix software requires 3 commands to go from unpacked tarball to
> installed binaries (assuming you have all of the necessary support
> libraries and files installed):
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> mod_dav_svn should get *created* (along with all of the other binaries)
> in the second step.  ./configure just does a detailed check for
> libraries and related files and programs necessary for the actual build
> to succeed.
>
> Note that things may not get installed where you expect;  I don't know
> if mod_dav_svn.so will get put into the "normal" packaged Apache
> directory for such modules (/usr/lib/httpd/modules on FC4 I think) or if
> it will end up somewhere under /usr/local.  You may be better off to
> rely on third-party packaged versions of Subversion.
>
> -kgd

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Help Installing on FC4

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.

Re: Help Installing on FC4

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Kris.  I finally figured out the httpd-devel need and got it
installed.  I'm now attempting to reinstall subversion.  I'll follow
up with the results.  Any idea when mod_dav_svn.so should get created?
 It didn't exists after running ./configure.  Haven't completed a next
step yet, but I thought I'd ask just to see whether I was on the right
track.

On 6/16/06, Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> wrote:
> Rob Wilkerson wrote:
> > On my server, httpd (version 2.0.55, by the way) was installed via RPM
>
> You need a collection of -dev or -devel rpm's then.  The Apache dev
> files are IIRC in httpd-devel.
>
> > so everything is in non-standard locations
>
> For certain values of "non-standard".  <g>  configure should be able to
> find things in their packaged (FHS-standard) locations.
>
> > and I'm getting the error
> > "skipping the build of mod_dav_svn" while configuring svn.  According
> > to the INSTALL file, that would mean configuring with the with-apxs
> > flag, but I don't have an apxs file/directory.
> >
> > What am I missing?  Where is apxs supposed to be located?  Is it
> > analagous to something else I should be pointing to?  Is there another
> > flag I should be using instead of with-apxs?
>
> Yep, you're missing the files from the httpd-devel package.  yum install
> httpd-devel should fix that.
>
> > Frustration is starting to get the better of me, so any help would be
> > greatly appreciated.  I can't seem to find a single resource that
> > identifies all of the ./configure flags that I might use...
>
> ./configure --help usually lists the options you can set - this may be
> several screenfuls.
>
> -kgd

Rob Wilkerson

Re: Help Installing on FC4

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.

Re: Help Installing on FC4

Posted by Rob Wilkerson <r....@gmail.com>.
Okay, here's what I think is happening:

On my server, httpd (version 2.0.55, by the way) was installed via RPM
so everything is in non-standard locations and I'm getting the error

--

Rob Wilkerson