Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2009/05/14 23:53:18 UTC

build broken

The build is broken, seems the IANAL plugin is checking all files. Why
do we have this zip file here anyway?

ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Artifact does not contain any legal files: pluto-
container-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT-project.zip

Re: build broken

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
David Jencks wrote:
> I hacked around on the pluto build and got it to complete, see rev 774969.
>
> We may have introduced some problems with putting the assembly plugin
> configuration for the source distros into portals-pom pluginManagement.
> We may also be able to fix the problems by requiring maven 2.1 or
> 2.0.10.  I'll investigate.
>
> The m-r-r-p doesn't do too well with war files, it puts the
> license/notice files in WEB-INF/classses/META-INF where they appear (to
> me at least) to apply to the classes in WEB-INF/classes rather than to
> the entire war.  We need to do something either to relocate the legal
> files or make the ianal plugin happier with their location.
>
> I'm pretty confused by the intentions in the pluto build.  It certainly
> needs a __lot__ of cleanup if we use the portals-pom as parent, many
> many plugins are respecified.
>
> The main non-straightforward-question for me is why the root pom that
> builds everything isn't also the parent pom.  I think the intention is
> to release all the pluto stuff at once at the same version; in this case
> I think the standard maven structure is to have the root pom be also the
> parent of all the modules.  If the intention is to make the modules
> independently releasable then the root pom needs a really prominent
> notice that it must not be used for releases.

Yes, I realized this yesterday (after I changed it) as well; I think we
release all the pluto stuff at once in the same version. Therefore I'll
revert the changes and make the root pom the parent pom.

As we do release everything in one go, there is imho no need to have a
bin or product artifact on a per module base. So I think we release the
separate modules as maven artifacts (jar, source jar, javadoc jar), a
complete source dist of the whole tree and a bin dist.

I'll have a look at it today.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: build broken

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
David Jencks wrote:
> I hacked around on the pluto build and got it to complete, see rev 774969.

<snip/>

> The m-r-r-p doesn't do too well with war files, it puts the
> license/notice files in WEB-INF/classses/META-INF where they appear (to
> me at least) to apply to the classes in WEB-INF/classes rather than to
> the entire war.  We need to do something either to relocate the legal
> files or make the ianal plugin happier with their location.
We encountered the same problem for APA war projects.
I've found a "fix" or better, workaround, to get the files put in the right place.
The following works for the APA dbbrowser/dbbrowser-war project:

    <build>

      <finalName>apa-dbbrowser</finalName>

      <plugins>
       <plugin>
         <!-- workaround for war processing of m-r-r-plugin causing the generated NOTICE and LICENSE file to be put under
              WEB-INF/classes/META-INF -->
         <artifactId>maven-remote-resources-plugin</artifactId>
         <executions>
           <execution>
             <goals>
               <goal>process</goal>
             </goals>
             <configuration>
               <outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}/${build.finalName}</outputDirectory>
               <attached>false</attached>
             </configuration>
           </execution>
         </executions>

[...]