Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/30 09:36:30 UTC

Removing unused code from maven-shared-utils

Unless someone objects, I will reimplement/backport all the subtle
fixes that have been added to DirectoryScanner/SelectorUtils in
context of maven-shared-utils.

Thereafter I think I'll test-port every single maven project that uses
plexus-utils/directoryscanner and after THAT I'll delete *all* the
unused code in
maven-shared-utils org.apache.maven.shared.utils.io package.

There are not many current users of maven-shared-utils, so I assume
such a strategy would be ok ?

Kristian

Re: Removing unused code from maven-shared-utils

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
If you apply the 3 classes you wrote (see attachement in MSHARED-236) then all the tests will pass again :)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
>>Regarding the incremental build: This has nothing to do with Eclipse.

I know that, I was using that as a example of a similarly complex OS based
eco system that also has binary backwards compatibility issues/goals.

>>I'm was even aware that they have a problem.

I have a vague recollection that they did once. My point was, it's not that
simple.

>>This is really something I personally need as well - as do thousands of
other maven users. My company build currently takes 5 minutes as it has 98
modules atm. Other projects I

5 Minutes I wish!. Try 3.5 hours (which I just cut down to 42 minutes via
-T8)!

>>maintain/build regularely (OpenWebBeans, DeltaSpike, MyFaces, OpenJPA,
OpenEJB, ...) are not that large, but it's really annoying to always need
to clean a project and do all over again because the change detection is
utter broken currently.

In cases like this, I cheat.

I set up separate Jenkins jobs, for each module, and let it sort out the
dependencies. Then it cascades nicely.

-Chris

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:59 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> well, I had some patches back then and I was asked to sign an obscure CLA (which I refused).
> Also the license headers have been changed without any code changes, etc.
>
> People without an iCLA on file did changes, etc. That kind of IP handling is just not good enough for an ASF project imo.
>
> And given that most of the code originates from ASF projects I see no reason to not move back the parts we really need (IP cleaned of course).
>

> You can call me picky, I can certainly live with that :)

All fair arguments, and I would disagree with most of them, but the important thing is changing the code safely. If you want to replace it I have no problem with that, just don't replace it to add features. You guys have had this plexus-utils replacement thing sitting around for over a year now. Finish that first and then move on to features.

> Another question: is there an eclipse-aether release in sight?
>

> LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> ________________________________

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.

 -- Buddha

Re: Removing unused code from maven-shared-utils

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Aleksandar Kurtakov <ak...@redhat.com>.
Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I thought the problem is obvious as I got a few acks when we discussed it here on the list.

I've now updated the WiKi page to explain the problem

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On Aug 30, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> If the compiler doesn't reliably detect changes, then it is a HUGE problem!

In what cases does that happen?

Your document[1] doesn't indicate this is a problem.

[1]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Incremental+Builds

> All the later stages can only depend on the results of the previous ones. To not trigger a necessary rebuild is WAY worse than to rebuild a few classes too much.
>
> Exactly that is the reason why most people always use "mvn CLEAN install" all the time currently.
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> ________________________________

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare

Re: Removing unused code from maven-shared-utils

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
You need to do one thing at time and not conflate the replacement of the plexus-utils code with anything else you want to implement. Mixing the two will almost certainly lead to problems.

If you are attempting to remove plexus-utils initially without a binary compatible drop-in replacement with code from Apache then I'm -1. I'm not going to change that position because I think you're needlessly causing problems. If you want to replace the code go for it, just do it safely.

Incremental builds are a separate matter all together and can be done in a branch, we've had incremental build support in m2e forever and you don't need to massively change the core at all to do it. In fact it works right now with the core as it is. Put a complete proposal together (I've seen the initial ideas) because if you think you need to drastically change the core for incremental builds I believe you are incorrect.

At any rate, one thing at a time. If you want to replace the code in plexus-utils with something else do that first as a separate, clear endeavor.

On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:40 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> I fear my perspective is pretty different.
>

> To _not_ produce a 1:1 drop in replacement gives us a few benefits. Actually it doesn't matter which version maven itself uses as this wont affect user builds.
>
> BUT it would _heavily_ affect users if their old builds wont work anymore because we dropped some ancient signature.
>
> And there is a well cast technical reason for this change: I need new/improved functionality for the incremental build.
>

> My proposal is to move maven itself to a much more progressive/improved version (thus off plexus-utils) but keep the old signatures and the original plexus-utils around for plugins which still uses it.
>
> If a plugin likes to use the new maven-core-utils then this is perfectly possible as well of course.
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>
>> ________________________________

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Actually there is atm no user at all (except maven-verifier).

We had quite some utility code in maven-verifier which got duped in plexus-utils, so I copied that over to maven-shared-utils.
I also moved most of the classes we wrote in the cleanroom plexus-utils rewrite in our sandbox to maven-shared-utils.
On top of that I applied changes by people who has an iCLA on file and the files clearly state

"Copyright The Apache Software Foundation"

I should note that all files got their headers replaced with "Copyright The Codehaus Foundation" in a bulk update on 2009-01-07 (without any line changed otherwise).
So I took the last version before and rewrote simple changes after that date myself.

Different plexus-utils versions clashes in plugins pretty often, so the goal is to replace it in maven-core, maven-shared and maven-plugins.
This would also make it much easier to contribute and release.
There are also some parts in plexus-utils which got forked out of other ASF projects but are not maintained well. E.g. Base64 where commons-io has a vastly better version already.

I already looked at quite some projects in maven-core and maven-shared and we actually already have many of those parts we need. I will gradually add more of them if needed.

So please do not remove anything right now - we will start a cleanup effort once we have maven-core, maven-shared and maven-plugins migrated over to maven-shared-utils.
Adding your Matcher changes is perfect of course. As is adding the 3 files you wrote (I attached them to MSHARED-236 but as you are the original author it's best you commit them yourself)

txs and LieGrue,
strub