Posted to community@apache.org by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net> on 2004/06/03 09:45:29 UTC

Volunteers wanted: Linuxworld Expo booth

Dear Apache community,

The Apache Software Foundation has been offered a booth in the .org
Pavilion at the upcoming LinuxWorld Conference & Expo. We're looking
for volunteers to staff this booth during the three days of the Expo:

Tuesday August 03, 2004   10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday August 04, 2004 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday August 05, 2004  10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

So, if you are attending LinuxWorld, are in town that week or live in
the San Francisco Bay Area, please sign up by sending me e-mail with
your name, the Apache project(s) you are involved in and your preferred
two hour time slot (if any). I will probably (haven't completely
thought this through yet) assign time slots on a first come, first
served basis, so pick 10-12, 12-2, 2-4 or (on Tuesday or Wednesday) the
popular single hour slot at the end of the day.

I'm hoping for response from all the Apache projects and subprojects,
so we'll have a large range of people with different interests around
that conference attendees can come and talk to. So, if you in any way
can, please sign up.

* You'll be helping the Apache Community, which is a Good Karma thing
* You'll meet some of those people that you only hear from on mailing
lists
* You'll meet fellow coders and patchers
* You WILL meet users who are using your software in ways that you never
   imagined
* You can help educate the LinuxWorld crowd about how the Apache
Software
   Foundation and its projects work
* We'll probably end each day in the bar

Please sign up by this Friday, June 4. On Friday, we'll make a decision
based on volunteer response whether we accept the booth or not.

If you haven't already, you can register for a free-as-in-beer expo
pass (or the not-so-free conference packages) at
<http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/register>.

I'm hoping for massive response.

Thanks,

Sander

Re: Volunteers wanted: Linuxworld Expo booth

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 08.07.2004, at 05:48, Sander Temme wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2004, at 6:01 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>> suddenly i'll be at linuxworld, but i don't know if i can help out or
>> not.
>
> Thanks for your offer, but we declined IDG's offer of the booth
> space... I didn't get enough volunteers at the time to give me the
> confidence that we could keep a booth staffed throughout the event.
>
> Please see <57...@temme.net> and
> preceding messages on this list.
>
> As I said in that message, let's see if we can get something going for
> the Boston show in January. We have since learned that the board has
> established a PR committee: maybe they can catalyse some
> participation.

FWIW, I'll be speaking at the one in Frankfurt/Germany (Oct 04) and
would be available for some booth action (provided that we can arrange
something with IDG and some others join in...).

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Volunteers wanted: Linuxworld Expo booth

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
Hi Ken,

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Sander Temme wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> On Jun 8, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > I'd love to be there, and I would, without a doubt, like to hang out at
> > the ASF booth. However, alas, I can't make it unless someone at IDG
> > sends me a ticket. I missed the CFP, and I am rather far away. :-(
>
> Well, hold those thoughts for the Boston LinuxWorld they're putting on
> in January. Perhaps you're in a better location for that. Or, I'm sure
> there will be other trade shows that the ASF might be represented.

I'm planning to go to the Boston one, so I'll keep that in mind. :-)

--
When the truth hides
An eternity goes by

Re: Volunteers wanted: Linuxworld Expo booth

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
Hi Rich,

On Jun 8, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I'd love to be there, and I would, without a doubt, like to hang out at
> the ASF booth. However, alas, I can't make it unless someone at IDG
> sends me a ticket. I missed the CFP, and I am rather far away. :-(

Well, hold those thoughts for the Boston LinuxWorld they're putting on
in January. Perhaps you're in a better location for that. Or, I'm sure
there will be other trade shows that the ASF might be represented.

Unfortunately, I have let IDG know that the ASF is not interested in a
booth at the show. Given the lack of response, I don't feel that we can
adequately staff a booth for the duration of the show. I'm sure we'll
be missed (: but if we can't put up an adequate presence, we shouldn't
do it at all.

No hard feelings: I have no prerogative over anyone's copious spare
time, and while I'm certainly prepared to spend some cycles on a trade
show in my locality, I wasn't prepared to spend the full three days on
it either. (:

Let's hope we get the critical mass next time.

S.

Re: Volunteers wanted: Linuxworld Expo booth

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Sander Temme wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2004, at 8:55 AM, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>
> > Sander, thanks for organizing this. I think this will give the ASF
> > some great visibility.
> >
> > (For the record, I've told Sander that I'm available for 10-2 on
> > Wed/Thu (and Friday too I guess), and that I can probably join
> > in on other slots that aren't filled by the time of the expo.)
>
> Thanks Aaron!
>
> Otherwise... thunderous silence.
>
> Is no one going to LinuxWorld? Has it become that lame? Is no one
> living in the Bay Area anymore?
>
> Aaron and I can not staff a booth between the two of us for three days.
> I need more people. Do we have any traction for this?
> HELP!
>
> I need to get something to the people at IDG by the end of today
> (Friday). I appreciate that this is short notice, and not everyone can
> make plans this far in advance, in this short a time frame. However, I
> would like to see some discussion and a show of support. Otherwise, I
> can't enter this obligation.

I'd love to be there, and I would, without a doubt, like to hang out at
the ASF booth. However, alas, I can't make it unless someone at IDG
sends me a ticket. I missed the CFP, and I am rather far away. :-(

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
There's more than one way to eat a rhesus

Re: Volunteers wanted: Linuxworld Expo booth

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.