Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Roger Hayes <RH...@tascet.com> on 2008/12/18 17:37:50 UTC

contribution: TimedRollingFileAppender

Folks-

Here is a variant on the standard DailyRollingFileAppender. It creates
the logfile with the timestamped name, rather than renaming the file
after the time period ends. I wrote it to solve a couple of
difficulties: safe log file rolling when there are external processes
using the file, and having to tickle the log file to get it to roll.

I attach the appender and a couple of test cases. I've had it in
production use for over a year, no problems.

Questions or comments?  Let me know.

Roger Hayes
[Senior Applications Developer]

P | |   608.442.8888 (2014)
C | |   608.444.8648
E | |   rhayes@tascet.com

222 W. Washington Ave, Suite 800
Madison, WI 53703

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above, and may be
legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly
return it to the sender immediately and delete the original message and
any copy of it from your computer system.  If you have any questions
concerning this message, please contact the sender.

Re: contribution: TimedRollingFileAppender

Posted by "Sid@Dell" <si...@dell.com>.
Hi Roger,

I am using TimedRollingFileAppender class to creates the logfile with the
timestamped name.
But something weird happening at Linux server while in windows machine it's
working fine.
In Linux server, new file not getting created at 12 am where system date get
changes. It's calculating 1 day at the time of deployment. For eg. If I
deploy the application at 6.15 PM 18-Jan-2012 then file with name
Cloudadmin-2012-01-18.log will be created. But next file with name
Cloudadmin-2012-01-19.log will create at 6.15 PM 19-Jan-2012 instead of
12.00 am 19-Jan-2012. Since system date is getting change at 12 am so file
should also be created at 12 am. Please revert asap.

Regards,
Siddhartha Chauhan