Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Ingo <in...@gmx.net> on 2020/12/21 16:16:35 UTC

[allura:tickets] #8352 Convert ApacheAccessHandler.py from mod_python to mod_wsgi

@brondsem I didn't work too hard on it, yet. But I did some first tests, and I'd love to merge it with my modifications, which were necessary to run it on my Allura installation.

Specialties, which I needed to implement in the current access handler:

*  **Support for SAML.** That means, that I needed to match the username of Allura, to the User ID (in my case it was the E-Mail address) of the IDP.
*  **Renamed Repositories, to get them flat in one directory.** As we heavily use SVN, and Apache doesn't support recursive directories for WebDAV (as you know ;) ), I renamed the repositories, so that the name gives already the full qualified path. The neighborhood, project and repo are then separated by comma, instead of slashes.

I had the idea, that the refactored access-handler can support also my requirements.

I would even propose, that the new handler is a fork, so that everyone can decide if he want's to stay with mod_python or switch to WSGI. Especially because both can't coexist in one Apache instance, and there might be reasons to stay with with mod_python for someone.

What do you think?
Should I investigate further, or are you on it already!?

---

** [tickets:#8352] Convert ApacheAccessHandler.py from mod_python to mod_wsgi**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Labels:** py3
**Created:** Wed Feb 26, 2020 07:54 PM UTC by Dave Brondsema
**Last Updated:** Wed Feb 26, 2020 07:54 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

mod_wsgi is how we run the main app, mod_python is very old school and we shouldn't be using it.

Recent versions of Ubunut look like they drop support for mod_python anyway rather than supporting it on python3: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libapache2-mod-python/+bug/1735368  Although mod_python does work with python 3, it'd just have to be built manually.

---

Sent from forge-allura.apache.org because dev@allura.apache.org is subscribed to https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/