Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org> on 2021/05/09 20:35:39 UTC

[Community] try to add an community growth graph to the website

Hi community!

We're the maintainers of Apache APISIX. To better present how our community
grows, we develop a tool to show contributors growing history on
https://github.com/api7/contributor-graph. Since we found it helpful, we
think maybe if it could help some other community.

**WHAT IT IS**

https://contributor-graph-api.apiseven.com/contributors-svg?chart=contributorOverTime&repo=apache/tomcat

Basically, it just shows the contributors growth over time. We would update
the graph each day, so the link would always present the real-time data.
With the graph We could easily find the contributors of tomcat grows
rapidly these years. There is some other stuff to [play around](
https://www.apiseven.com/en/contributor-graph) if you would like to give it
a try~

**HOW IT WORKS**

We use Github API to get all commits, try to find the “Github way” to
filter commits so the result data would be similar to Github, and then get
the first commit time of each user.

I found it might be a good place to place the graph on the bottom of "who
we are" page <https://tomcat.apache.org/whoweare.html>, but I'm familiar
with the structure of tomcat so I failed to find the method to create PR to
add the graph. If you found this graph useful, do you mind giving me some
hints on where should I change in the repo?

Don't hesitate to tell us if there is a better place to present this graph
other than README, or there are some other worries or other features you
would like to have~

Re: Fwd: [Community] try to add an community growth graph to the website

Posted by Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the guidance!

The problem is, I could not get the accurate commit date of each commit in
the changelog, especially for those that not bind with bugzilla. If I take
it right, the changelog would be the same or a subset of svn log, so I'm
not sure if there is anything new I could get from the changelog. One more
thing is that I go through the changelog for 5.5, 6.0, and 7.0 in 2012
(5.5.35-5.5.36, 6.0.36, and 7.0.25-7.0.35 separately), but failed to find
out new contributors. Could you help me find them?

Thanks for your time!

Best,
Shuyang

Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> 于2021年5月20日周四 上午4:16写道:

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

I try to get contributors from svn side with `svn log --quiet -v
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat | grep "^r"` and get 100
contributors in total. After removing duplicates with git, right now we
have 95 contributors till 2012 and ~150 till now (compared to 20/90 and
10/60 before).
(See
https://www.apiseven.com/en/contributor-graph?chart=contributorOverTime&repo=apache/tomcat
for the graph)

Since email that is not bound to GitHub is regarded as "anonymous"
contributors, and I could only get 31 anonymous ones from tomcat github
repo, we could say there is quite a lot of contributors lost happened
during the switch. Actually, the earliest commit of tomcat github repo I
could get is from 2006, so I could say of course there is something lost.

Talking about contributors in 2012, it seems from the data I get, there are
still no new contributors in 2012. There are some commits with "no author",
but not for 2012. (I try to figure out how to deal with "no author" but it
seems I could do nothing on my side. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I'll
list the svn side contributors here, so maybe you could tell if anything
goes wrong.

duncan, 1999-10-08 20:05:52 -0400 EDT
(no author), 1999-10-08 20:05:52 -0400 EDT
costin, 1999-10-10 17:19:44 -0400 EDT
craigmcc, 1999-10-12 01:42:09 -0400 EDT
gonzo, 1999-10-12 03:17:47 -0400 EDT
bergsten, 1999-10-12 04:33:51 -0400 EDT
stefano, 1999-10-12 18:43:06 -0400 EDT
akv, 1999-10-12 21:12:44 -0400 EDT
mode, 1999-10-14 21:24:49 -0400 EDT
harishp, 1999-10-14 23:20:35 -0400 EDT
arun, 1999-10-15 18:26:05 -0400 EDT
mandar, 1999-10-17 14:40:06 -0400 EDT
jhunter, 1999-10-17 23:03:40 -0400 EDT
vanitha, 1999-10-18 19:49:24 -0400 EDT
jons, 1999-11-23 14:46:12 -0500 EST
pier, 1999-12-03 07:41:42 -0500 EST
rubys, 1999-12-07 20:37:20 -0500 EST
shemnon, 2000-01-12 01:14:36 -0500 EST
preston, 2000-01-17 05:17:36 -0500 EST
shachor, 2000-02-17 05:37:42 -0500 EST
jon, 2000-03-24 13:43:48 -0500 EST
jluc, 2000-03-29 14:30:26 -0500 EST
nacho, 2000-04-03 20:56:55 -0400 EDT
ed, 2000-06-15 14:58:19 -0400 EDT
alex, 2000-06-22 19:02:53 -0400 EDT
glenn, 2000-07-25 08:13:53 -0400 EDT
jiricka, 2000-07-28 17:41:44 -0400 EDT
pierred, 2000-08-11 17:32:39 -0400 EDT
remm, 2000-08-11 20:17:35 -0400 EDT
dannyc, 2000-08-16 15:53:22 -0400 EDT
horwat, 2000-08-16 20:58:20 -0400 EDT
larryi, 2000-08-26 09:03:38 -0400 EDT
santosh, 2000-10-02 18:44:57 -0400 EDT
arieh, 2000-10-06 16:42:00 -0400 EDT
eduardop, 2000-10-11 20:29:52 -0400 EDT
hgomez, 2000-11-15 06:37:25 -0500 EST
rameshm, 2000-12-15 19:23:33 -0500 EST
marcsaeg, 2000-12-21 14:24:19 -0500 EST
danmil, 2000-12-25 17:31:58 -0500 EST
keith, 2001-02-02 11:41:52 -0500 EST
kief, 2001-02-13 03:58:54 -0500 EST
melaquias, 2001-03-04 17:38:14 -0500 EST
amyroh, 2001-03-21 16:31:46 -0500 EST
clucas, 2001-03-24 01:49:30 -0500 EST
bip, 2001-04-25 21:30:27 -0400 EDT
seguin, 2001-05-12 01:52:38 -0400 EDT
jfclere, 2001-06-05 03:55:52 -0400 EDT
andya, 2001-06-13 17:26:45 -0400 EDT
mmanders, 2001-06-13 17:28:28 -0400 EDT
ccain, 2001-08-31 16:15:12 -0400 EDT
bojan, 2001-09-25 00:33:45 -0400 EDT
billbarker, 2001-10-02 01:38:21 -0400 EDT
kinman, 2001-10-03 15:26:47 -0400 EDT
patrickl, 2001-11-06 16:52:14 -0500 EST
rlubke, 2001-12-12 08:11:47 -0500 EST
manveen, 2002-01-26 15:52:58 -0500 EST
ekr, 2002-05-28 10:19:47 -0400 EDT
dsandberg, 2002-06-05 15:09:17 -0400 EDT
cks, 2002-06-20 12:16:00 -0400 EDT
mturk, 2002-06-23 01:40:29 -0400 EDT
luehe, 2002-06-26 12:50:38 -0400 EDT
morgand, 2002-07-22 14:41:34 -0400 EDT
bobh, 2002-08-14 16:54:57 -0400 EDT
jfarcand, 2002-08-22 08:48:56 -0400 EDT
idarwin, 2002-09-13 12:53:33 -0400 EDT
fhanik, 2003-02-19 15:24:10 -0500 EST
funkman, 2003-06-01 16:57:00 -0400 EDT
yoavs, 2003-06-06 23:35:38 -0400 EDT
ecarmich, 2003-08-23 21:18:44 -0400 EDT
markt, 2003-12-10 16:29:06 -0500 EST
truk, 2004-01-30 16:54:40 -0500 EST
fuankg, 2004-04-06 12:07:58 -0400 EDT
pero, 2004-09-21 03:30:32 -0400 EDT
wrowe, 2005-05-11 19:38:30 -0400 EDT
clar, 2005-06-10 12:24:35 -0400 EDT
bayard, 2005-08-04 20:24:38 -0400 EDT
jim, 2005-11-04 18:47:49 -0500 EST
jhook, 2006-03-05 14:18:11 -0500 EST
rjung, 2006-05-10 04:12:29 -0400 EDT
fcarrion, 2007-03-24 21:08:07 -0400 EDT
kkolinko, 2009-05-15 18:50:29 -0400 EDT
rahul, 2009-08-17 13:39:14 -0400 EDT
timw, 2010-02-07 02:33:25 -0500 EST
kfujino, 2010-03-31 02:08:32 -0400 EDT
jboynes, 2010-07-08 02:12:25 -0400 EDT
schultz, 2010-11-23 17:03:23 -0500 EST
slaurent, 2010-12-02 17:14:23 -0500 EST
eijit, 2011-08-26 00:36:56 -0400 EDT
olamy, 2011-08-30 04:23:49 -0400 EDT
violetagg, 2013-01-31 09:49:04 -0500 EST
kpreisser, 2013-09-24 15:10:44 -0400 EDT
fschumacher, 2014-09-19 11:25:29 -0400 EDT
ognjen, 2015-10-23 11:08:40 -0400 EDT
mgrigorov, 2015-10-27 03:50:01 -0400 EDT
huxing, 2016-08-31 10:04:33 -0400 EDT
csutherl, 2016-10-03 11:55:16 -0400 EDT
ebourg, 2017-01-20 15:24:24 -0500 EST
isapir, 2018-05-21 15:30:01 -0400 EDT

Re: [Community] try to add an community growth graph to the website

Posted by Wo Soyoung <wo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

I try to get contributors from svn side with `svn log --quiet -v
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat | grep "^r"` and get 100
contributors in total. After removing duplicates with git, right now we
have 95 contributors till 2012 and ~150 till now (compared to 20/90 and
10/60 before).
(See
https://www.apiseven.com/en/contributor-graph?chart=contributorOverTime&repo=apache/tomcat
for the graph)

Since email that is not bound to GitHub is regarded as "anonymous"
contributors, and I could only get 29 anonymous ones from tomcat github

Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> 于2021年5月17日周一 下午2:16写道:

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org> 于2021年5月11日周二 下午11:37写道:

Posted by Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Christopher,

Posted by Wo Soyoung <wo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Shuyang,

On 5/10/21 13:21, Shuyang Wu wrote:
> Thanks for the information! I'll try to see if we could make some
> improvements on the compatibility with svn

I understand you are more focused on commits than anything else, here,
but the community is really more defined by the mailing list(s) than the
commit history.

Sure, commits are *one* metric, but that's only ... commits.

I would be more interested in seeing a graph of number of mailing list
messages relative to the number of unique senders on a monthly basis. I
think *that* would be a better community metric than number-of-commits
or number-of-unique-committers.

-chris

Posted by Shuyang Wu <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,