Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/07 18:16:01 UTC

IP white-lists for brokers

Hi All,

Currently the Java broker implements IP white-lists where using
firewall rules is not an option.
http://qpid.apache.org/ip-whitelisting.html

There is an email on the user list which has a similar requirement,
where a certain user is allowed to connect via an approved list of IP
addresses.
It seem to me this requirement is best handled via the ACL mechanism.

However I'd like to see similar functionality/behaviour implemented by
our brokers for a given requirement where possible.
The Java brokers ip-whitelisting feature is standalone atm.
So wondering if there is any interest in combining with the ACL, or
why it wasn't done that way as it maybe due to some factors that I
have overlooked.
Also irrespective of how it's implemented I am keen to have the same
test cases against both brokers to ensure we share the effort.

Thoughts/suggestions are most welcomed.

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: IP white-lists for brokers

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Existing users of the ACLs have had to suffer quite a bit (see the JIRAs
fixed in the last couple of releases), thus my impression is that
there is/was a real motivation for not making big changes there.

We need to maintain (at least) backward compatibility so that we don't cause
users with production ACLs migration/test overhead.

I don't have any objection with the idea of bringing the ACLs together, but
for me the big caveat is test coverage since that was the issue (really)
with the old ACLs.

Marnie

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> However I'd like to see similar functionality/behaviour implemented by
>> our brokers for a given requirement where possible.
>> The Java brokers ip-whitelisting feature is standalone atm.
>> So wondering if there is any interest in combining with the ACL, or
>> why it wasn't done that way as it maybe due to some factors that I
>> have overlooked.
>> Also irrespective of how it's implemented I am keen to have the same
>> test cases against both brokers to ensure we share the effort.
>
> Martin and I kicked about the idea of integrating the two at one
> point, but didn't due to logistical problems with the current ACL
> implementation in the Java broker. It seemed to make more sense to do
> it as an extension to the shared ACL format, but that patch never
> quite seems to go in.
>
> Adding in a "from <netmask/hostname>" would be pretty simple syntax
> wise, and similar to what things like PostgreSQL do. It's a shame the
> @ syntax is already taken, but nm.
>
> Something like this perhaps?
>
> acl allow user from localhost
> acl allow user from 192.168.1.1/24

Yep, seems more intuitive.
I hope you and Martin could at some point get this going.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.